problem with i7-930 and tempratures

SantaC

n00b
I just installed my new i7 930 cpu and while everything works fine, it has some very high temps.

29fxs78.jpg

this pic is from idle and no OC.

What's even more weird is that the motherboard (PT6 SE) is almost at 60c idle!

What could be wrong? btw motherboard says that Power fan is N/A, I dont even know what a power fan is. Right now I have CPU fan, GPU fan and PSU fan spinning in my chassi. Still, the CPU and Motherboard temp seems way to high.

From what I've understood from other people, the Asus tool is not reliable for temperature monitoring. For your processor, use RealTemp or CoreTemp. That said, if these tools show that your processor is indeed around 60°C idle, that's pretty high. Depending on your ambient temperature, it should be around 30-40°C idle. Maximum temperature is important too, and that can be measured with a one hour Linpack run. Maximum temperature should be lower than 80°C ideally.

And I believe the power fan header is for certain power supplies that allow for the internal fan to be monitored. If your power supply doesn't support that, it's normal to have no fan attached to that.

+1 for trying realtemp or hwmonitor is another good one. There's something wrong with those temps and that vcore. It can't be .94v even at at stock speeds I don't think.

Just curious, but what did your temps end up at? And what was the vcore?

my puget built i7-940 with 12 gbs ram hyperx @1600 using core temp is stock at 40-41c and under prime 95 torture test for 7 hours reached 73-74c....well within safe range ands i have the asetek hybrid cooler...btw my numbers jived with there testing and posted specs/graphs/etc. part if there testing has ann industrial heater blowing in the comp are and you can see the spike in graph on there snapshot.

i also have my machine under desk where airflow isn't exactly great.

I am tempted to get 12 gig ram as well. Will 6-->12 be a big difference for windows 2008 server?

Back