Problem with HTPC + LCD TV

S3th13

Gawd
Heres the problem:

I have to turn my Sony LCD on and to the right video setting (7)before I turn my HTPC on for it to display any picture. If I turn the TV off or switch to a different video settings (cable box) while I'm using my HTPC, it won't display the signal once I switch it back to video 7. I'm running off the onboard 8200 on my Asus motherboard.

Build:
AMD Athlon II X2 240
ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200
2GB DDR2
Windows 7 Ultimate RTM

Any ideas?

Have you tried disabling the ATI external event manager? Sometimes that can really mess up the switching back to the HTPC. It tries to detect the TV every time it is switched over. Its found under services for windows.

Doh my bad your correct, I was thinking of my ATI card. I should have read a bit more closely. I guess you have grabbed the latest Nvidia Drivers? Can also check power saving features in windows 7 make sure it doesn't have any of those turned on for the video card. Set up a screen saver instead of having it turn the monitor off, and just turn the TV off in the mean time. Power saving stuff causes a lot of problems.

Thats what I was thinking originally, but after disabling all of the power saving features I still have the problem. After googling around a bit, it seems that the HDMI connection requires some sort of signal from the TV letting the HTPC know it needs the picture, but the TV isn't capable of doing that. Some people have had some luck with a $80 dollar adapter... :(

Yeah I have seen some of that browsing around myself. One thing you might try , if your TV has multiple HDMI imputs is trying a different HDMI imput. Is your cable box hooked up HDMI or componet or composite? Sometimes having them all on HDMI will help, or sometimes it helps if you split them up. Some tvs use the same logic board for different imputs. Also try changing the resolution on your HTPC to 720P or 1080I vs 1080p and see if that makes a difference.

I have the exact same motherboard. I found out after a lot of searching that its a driver issue. Install the 182.50 drivers for Vista.

I also see that there's a new beta driver. I'm going to try those out to see if they work. I can always go back to the 182.5 version if they don't.

I just installed the newest beta drivers (191.03) and they also allow me to turn the tv off or change inputs.

Those beta drivers seem to solve the problem. Thanks a lot. I'll keep testing them throughout the week.

Back