• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

problem with HP bootkey maker for flashing BIOS

Kevin5255

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
393
I'm trying to use a USB cardreader with an SD card in it that basically functions as a thumb driver to make a bootkey to flash the BIOS of my 8800GT. I'm following the tutorial here at [H], but whenever I try to make a bootkey with the HP bootkey utility, the drive shows up as completely empty. Is there a problem here, or should I just suck it up and buy a stupid thumbdrive?
 
you need to add bootable systems files (aka ms-dos files) for it to boot. try googling "ms-dos files for bootable flash drive", since it should apply for sd cards as well..


the only limitation is that some motherboards/bios don't allow boot from sd cards.
 
You might also have to set the partition on the SD card to active(I've had to do this with thumbdrives before to get them to boot). I'm not sure if you can do it through Disk Manager, although if you can, it would be as simple as right-clicking on My Computer(or Computer if you're running Vista) and selecting Manage, then select Storage and then Disk Management(local). Right-click on the SD card's partition and select Mark Partition as Active. If you can't do it through Disk Manager, let me know and I'll tell you how to do it through Diskpart.
 
Back
Top