• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem with Hard Drive

Akutsukun

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 1, 2005
Messages
116
I don't know what happened; I took my hard drive out when I went to format & install Windows XP on the other hard drive [80 GB]. Then a few days later [today], I put in the other hard drive [250 GB] and it starts making this "kicking" noise. Not sure how to describe it, but it sounds bad. But it's not working.

Not sure what to do; I went to Western Digital and can get my hard Drive RMA'd but I'd like to recover my data. I have a lot of family photos, pictures and stuff from years past on it.
 
if it's a steady clicking noise.. that's a drive gone bad.. not much you can do with that other than using recovery services at $500 and higher... you could try calling WD support but i'm not sure how helpful they'd be.

um.. did you remember to shut the power off before you unplugged the hd?

sorry dude that sux
 
Yeah, the power was off.

Ouch $500 :(. I just want to save a few things; mostly just the family pictures.

Yeah, it's like this clicking noise when the drive tries to run? I think the motor went bad or it's stuck or something. Not sure, but it sounds like this loud kicking/clicking noise.
 
it's just strange that it started the clicking noise right after you did your install..

did it have the OS on it before you installed on the 80GB? If so, you may want to try setting it up as it was before and try to boot with the 250GB. If it boots, then get as many of the files you can.
 
Well the 250 GB had nothing but files on it.

I don't know what happened to it :(. The bios is recognizing the HD but won't get past the boot up screen thing. It says, "checking IDE blah blah" and it makes that loud clicking/kicking noise.
 
Akutsukun said:
From: http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowtree.nsf/0/4b1a62a50f405d0d86256756006e340c?

It seems like the first noise is what I'm experiencing. All I want to do is get my pictures =(. I'm sure my hard drive is not broken in terms of data damage, if so -> minimal. It was working completely fine the 2-3 days before.

thanks A LOT for that link :D

i hope u can get your data back, but with that sound, you'll have to send ur hdd to some company. It's a mechanical failure, so just changing the PCB won't help. Please refer to this thread for more information: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1132488

Greetings !!
 
Recovering the data is costly [$500-$2800?]; I'm not sure how much it will cost for just one or two folders.
 
Akutsukun said:
Recovering the data is costly [$500-$2800?]; I'm not sure how much it will cost for just one or two folders.

Depends who you call - often the price will not change as the amount of work performed is the same for 144 files or 140000 files. A specialist needs to get the drive working again first, and this is the service you're paying the majority for.
 
Back
Top