• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem with GTX 280

napalm588

n00b
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
26
Specs on the computer

Coolermaster 830 stacker (silver color)
EVGA GTX 280 OC
EVGA 750i FTW mobo
Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @2.66GHz and 12MB Cache
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler
OCZ Reaper DDR2 2x2 GB ram @800MHz
Disc Drive (Samsung) DVDRW
Hard Drive - WD (Western Digital) 640GB dual platter
Corsair Power Supply 620HX

I bought this on eBay, I just tried to get in contact with him but figured I would ask you guys in case it is a simple fix, so I can hurry up and leave feedback for him (Apparently eBay holds the sellers funds until positive feedback now?).

Anyways, upon boot up the monitor shows some lines of code, then it will either go completely blank, start loading Windows vista and then go blank, or ask me what I want to go (safe mode, regular boot, etc) and of course, the screen goes blank. It seems that the video card fan will either never spin to begin with, or spin after the computer has been on for five seconds, then shut off after 20 seconds like clockwork. I re-connected both PCI-E ports leading to the (power supply?)
 
okay yay, I "re-seated"? the card onto the mobo and it booted just fine.

Thanks seller, if youre on this board!
 
Dang-it... Sorry to keep posting in my own thread, but after taking the card out, putting it back in, it booted up fine for a total of 4 minutes, then the minitor said "No display" again...

ah!
 
sounds like a bad card. I'd send the card back to the seller and get your money back.
 
Possibly your PSU has a fault.
Worth testing with another PC and/or PSU.
 
Definitely a GPU problem, not the PSU, especially the Corsair 620HX, which I've been running since it's release in four different systems without a single hitch on both 8800 GTX's and GTX 280's. The problems you're experiencing are GPU-related that are pretty tell-tale. Send the GPU back to the seller.
 
Definitely a GPU problem, not the PSU, especially the Corsair 620HX, which I've been running since it's release in four different systems without a single hitch on both 8800 GTX's and GTX 280's. The problems you're experiencing are GPU-related that are pretty tell-tale. Send the GPU back to the seller.

Are you saying that its impossible to have a faulty Corsair 620HX PSU?
 
Okay, well I've switched the card to the other SLI port on my mobo, and It will play crysis for about a 5 or 10 minutes beautifully with no problems, then, randomly, shuts off. No Blue screen of death, just no input to my monitor. Is it a bad card for sure? It can't be the power supply if it works fine for 10 minutes then stops, can it?

I don't want to send the card back and have it be the power supply...
 
The PSU is still a minor suspect but for now...

It may be the card overheating.
Monitor GPU temps using EVGA precision while keeping the GPU loaded.
furmark and rthdribl_1_2 are pretty intense tests that will let you see how hot it can get.

Then open the case side and blow cooler air into the PC as a test to see if it remains stable.
Report the temps for all tests here.
 
using gpuZ to monitor, i got a max reading of 53 degree C before the card shut off...

Edit: stressed it again and it got to 74 degrees...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top