Problem with google maps

iRoNeTiK

Vodka Martinis are for the Weak
Not sure if this is the right subforum but move it if it is not.

Using IE7 or FireFox 3.0 RC1 on Windows XP Home Edition with SP3. I can get maps.google.com to work correctly.

I get the overall map of the US but once I zoom in, the status bar just says 25-30 images remaining and never loads or when it does load it just says something like "sorry image does not exist @ this zoom" and all I get is grey.

It was working fine then it flaked out on me and I reinstalled DX and I believe Java? bleh I forget then it seemed to work but now it's back to crap!

Any ideas?

I've seen some very odd random issues on XP after upgrading to SP3. Try uninstalling that, then test again with IE 7, then FF.

FWIW Google Maps uses AJAX calls to update the map images. Reinstalling DX or a Java runtime won't help this case.

I riverted back to SP2 (its a SP2 XP install) and tried IE7 and FF again, same issue

All the activeX/scripting is set right

Seems like a system issue, not a browser since it seems to be affecting both browsers. I uninstalled AV, disable firewall, reboot router, try a different NIC, reinstall DX like google says. I'm using onboard video, maybe it just blows chunks? hehe

Anymore ideas?

:confused:

This is kind of a needle/haystack scenario from the information presented.

If you got a spare hard drive, then replace your current OS drive with the spare, install OS and apps to the spare, and test again.

I got a spare drive I will try. I guess I know what I'm doing all afternoon :)

I guess I'll keep testing after each driver, update, and/or app I install

Let you know.

I'm sitting here with a freshly reinstalled copy of Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 with all drivers installed and IE6 and FF 3 RC2 and maps.google.com still does NOT work. It doesn't load the images, just gray one says sorry cant load the image yada yada yada.

Google Earth works and so does MS Live Search Map works (very similiar to google, if not a copy of it lol)

What the heck? So what could it be? Chipset? Onboard video blows? Just an Intel G31 chipset.

::sigh::

It's certainly not a lack of hardware capability. Start looking at drivers.... video, then chipset, then network, then sound.... Keep plugging away until you find the right combination.

Definitely needle/haystack :(

You could also try downloading a "live" CD of Ubuntu and running off of that, opening FireFox (once the live CD is finished booting), and see if FF has a problem there. If it does, then perhaps there is some hardware issue somewhere...

Back