problem with geforce 4 ti4600

tekcajder

Limp Gawd
I've a ti4600 that i've been using since 2002. Its been having some troubles lately, the second monitor output won't work (i think it detects somethings attached, but won't display anything) ... recently i found that the 12volt jack for the heatsink fan stopped working (so i had to reroute to my PSU in order to get the fan running and cool the card)

anyhow, i installed halflife 2, unreal 2, and GTA vice city ... and i'm getting the same problem ... the game will get through a portion of the loading before the entire screen blacks out and i get a monitor test screen. the computer doesn't turn off, i don't get any artifacting, just blanks out. it doesn't do this with anything else, just games.

should i just scrap gaming on the card and pick up something new? or is this fixable? (i figure my card is shot, but i might as well ask)

thanks for the help, cheers - tek.

Check your capacitors for leakage. I've had a number of older Ti4600 cards stop working in the same manner. It was either a cap problem or a voltage regulator that fried. In which case, you'll see scoring around them. I'd post pics to illustrate if I had some at this moment.

If it was working and you didn't do anything software related to it, its probably a hardware failure.

Also, what drivers are you using? The new 77.32 drivers have been causing that exact problem in some games. Try going back to the 71.89 drivers, if you're not already using them. Have you tried reseating the card, or reinstalling your GART drivers?

i tried rolling back the drivers, still having the same problem. as for visible problems on the board itself ... no scoring, no burned out components. i figure its just hardware failure (as you guys mentioned)

(i've also reseated the card a number of times, changed the artic silver paste and reset the heatsink/fan with no results.)

ahh well, time to start saving up for a new card :(

Have you tried you card in a known working computer? Tested all the bits in your computer (ie RAM, CPU, etc)?

Back