Problem with fresh XP install on new build!

inbox899

n00b
After finally figuring out my POSTing problem, I began installing XP Home on my new build. Never having installed an OS before (first time builder here), I found some screenshots giving step by step advice on how to do this. Following the guide, I made my whole drive partition C. I then selected NTFS formatting (not the quick one, the long one). Quickly understanding this would take some time, I sat down to watch a movie. Checking often, I watched the progress of the format. Finally, I turned around and saw some writing on a black screen. Turns out, it was an error message:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk harware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I have checked and double checked my boot path in the BIOS, and it is CDROM 1st, then HARDDRIVE 2nd. It was obviously reading from the disk before. Has formatting the harddrive somehow interfered here? I have read from several sources NOT to press "any key to boot from CDROM" during the boot, as it will determine the CDROM pathway on its own. The CDROM spins up in any case. I have been reluctant to just push a button, but maybe I should. I have checked to make sure the connections to the CDROM have stayed tight.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

Sounds like it copied the install files to the HD as it should, rebooted to continue, and then failed on the HD. More info is probably needed. Is this a SATA drive? Sata I or II? AHCI? You may need to change a jumper or install a driver, though you shouldn't have been able to format it if that was the case.

both the cdrom and the hardrive are sata II. I meant to include the system specs:

gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l rev2, evga 8800gts 512, e8400, corsair hx620w, gskill 2-2gb ddr-800, wdigital caviar 2-platter se16 640gb, ac freezer 7 pro, samsung 2253bw 22" monitor, samsung 20x DVD/CDR sh-s203b, creative X-Fi Fatality sound card

Is the HD set for AHCI mode, or IDE in the BIOS? And is the XP disk SP2? The original release of XP will not support a drive that size as it did not natively support 48 bit LBA.

Yes, the xp disk is sp2. I don't know about the hd in the bios. I will check, but I am not sure I know where to check in the bios...it is the gigabyte F7 revision for my board. Also, I have recieved a bit of advice...press a key when promted early in the boot to boot from cd...is this good advice?

sata ahci mode is disabled. The harddrive priority recognizes the model number of my drive.

I hit the key when promted, it went back into setup. It came to the part where it asked which partion to set up in and my choice was a formatted c: partition. I chose this and a message came up that I already had an operating system installed, and that I probably shouldn't install another one. But when I backed out from the choice, it messaged that I had not fully installed windows and that if I left setup completely, I would have to run setup again. What's up? Should I change my boot priortity in bios to harddrive 1st, CDROM 2nd?

Boot order shouldn't matter if the OS installed correctly. CDROM booting first is normal as you should have to press a key to actually get a CD to boot. If it were me, I would start over, do a quick format, and watch it this time to see if there are any problems with the install.

what exactly do you mean, see if there are problems with the install? I don't mean that as a rhetorical question, I'm really asking.

what exactly do you mean, see if there are problems with the install? I don't mean that as a rhetorical question, I'm really asking.

In your first post you mentioned sitting down to watch a movie. I think you may have missed something before that black screen came up. With a quick format, the installation should take less than a half hour. I would sit there with it to make sure there aren't any error messages you may have missed.

Back