Problem with eVGA 6800GT

pistola

[H]ard|Gawd
Right-O

I'm up in arms right now. Ok so I had a 6800GT and everything was fine until one day, my screen started to show noise on it. Got a little worried. Then after like 2 minutes of lag and noise on my screen the video droped out. I rebooted and all I saw was blocks of color, UH OH. So I RMAed the poor guy and yesterday I got its replacement back, it was brand new in a retail box and all. So I installed that bad boy and it ran great for about 4-5 hours of playing COH, then I got off and checked my email, and that noise came back. S*#%!!! Then, as I expected, about 1 minute of the noise and video lag, the video droped out... again. Ok so i reboot, and no blocks of color yet, i can see the bios screen and the windows loading screen, but then as the log in screen came up, blocks of color. I reboot again, Same, then again, the same deal once more and it came up, loged in and then a window poped up "Windows has recovered a serious error" I looked at the details regarding the error and it was the video card drivers. Then after about a minute of the it running, the noise came back and droped out once again and blocks of color again on reboot. The system starts up fine in safe mode.

Any insite on how to fix this would be great.

I have the latest drivers for my chipset on my mobo which is a Gigabyte GA-7S748-L SiS chipset. Also I was running the nVidia driver that shipped with the card, not sure which version that is. Windows XP Pro SP1 and my system is in the sig. The card is not currently overclocked.

Thanks

I had this problem a few days ago. I solved it by entering VGA mode, reinstalling drivers which killed my OC. eVGA GTs come with the old Bios, the one that DOES NOT differeniate between 2d and 3d memory clocks. In other words, you're running 350/1100 in 2d mode. That's too much for 1.1v 2d modes runs at and it's cuasing instability. What you need to do is kill your OC, then edit your bios and push up the 2d vcore to 1.3. This will stabalize your card. It's what I did and it fixed my problems [which at one point were so bad I thought for sure the card was dead].

Looks like you RMAed your original GT for nothing.

Ok, im gonna sound really stupid, but I never had to do this. How do you edit the video card's bios?

Download the nvFlash v4.42.
http://zok.matrax.com/BIOS/nvflash442.exe

Save this file to C:\>bios. In other words goto my computer, c drive, create folder named bios. Now you have to make a backup of your stock/original bios. Do this by going to start menu, run, type in cmd to open up the command promt. Now navigate through dos to reach the bios folder (C:\>Bios). Now type in nvflash442 -b mybios.rom

This will make a backup of your original bios in the bios folder and the file will be named mybios.rom. Alright, now that you've made the backup it's time to edit it for which you'll need the program omniextreme edit fx.

Download it from here.
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=0&func=download&filecatid=127

Use omni to open up the bios file you backed up bios file [mybios]. You do this through windows btw, not dos. There you should see voltage options for 2d and 3d cores. Push up the 2d from 1.1 to 1.3. You might also want to push 3d from 1.3 to 1.4 [it'll help a bit with the OC]. Now save this edited bios [I named mine bestbios.rom]. Don't give it the same name as your original backup bios, that's your backup should anything go wrong. Also make sure you move/save the bestbios file in your c drive bios folder.

Alright now you've finished editing your bios it's time to flash it which requires some old school dos knowledge.

Start by going to start menu/run/then typing in cmd.

This should bring up the commmand prompt. type in cd\ to get you out of your documents folder and into your root C directory.

Now type in cd bios. This should open up the bios folder.

Now type in nvflash442 -p -u -2 bestbios.rom

It'll ask you to confirm by typing in YES in all caps. Do it, then watch as it flashs for you. One complete reboot your system. Viola, you are done and it should take care of your instability problems. If it doesn't or if it's even worse, just flash it back to the original bios (nvflash442 -p -u -2 mybios.rom).

Good luck.

Well so far it seems to have worked.

THANK YOU for you help, greatly apreciated.

This sort of thing should really be in a sticky at the top of the forum....we probably have 3-4 posts per day from people with similar problems thinking that rma'ing their card will cure the problem. The simple fact is that these newer cards are not as plug and play as the older ones and far too many impatient,inexperienced people are buying these to pop in their rigs themselves.

joemama said:
This sort of thing should really be in a sticky at the top of the forum....we probably have 3-4 posts per day from people with similar problems thinking that rma'ing their card will cure the problem. The simple fact is that these newer cards are not as plug and play as the older ones and far too many impatient,inexperienced people are buying these to pop in their rigs themselves.

Whoa there buddy, no need to attack people I didn't see you supplying me with an answer. The fact is that there is abusolutely no reason why I shouldn't be able to just slap it in my rig. I've been building PC's for years, and never ever ever have I had to flash a bios on a video card to make it work, quite frankly I feel thats obsurde. Why the hell should I have to flash a bios to fix a simple problem that it should be shipping from the factory with fixed? Im far from inexperienced, but i'll be the frist person to say I don't know everything, and In this case I didn't know about the bios problem on a 6800GT and how to fix it. But I do now.

I have an eVGA 6800gt that I got from newegg about 2 weeks ago. So far it seems to run just fine. How can I tell if I need this BIOS flash? Were ALL eVGA 6800gt's shipped out with the old BIOS? Should I wait until something goes wrong with it?

pistola said:
Whoa there buddy, no need to attack people I didn't see you supplying me with an answer. The fact is that there is abusolutely no reason why I shouldn't be able to just slap it in my rig. I've been building PC's for years, and never ever ever have I had to flash a bios on a video card to make it work, quite frankly I feel thats obsurde. Why the hell should I have to flash a bios to fix a simple problem that it should be shipping from the factory with fixed? Im far from inexperienced, but i'll be the frist person to say I don't know everything, and In this case I didn't know about the bios problem on a 6800GT and how to fix it. But I do now.

Here Here.

Can anyone verify if the voltage problem is confined to eVGA cards? I'm looking at getting a BFG from Outpost in a little bit and want to know if it's something I should expect.

pistola said:

Agreed. I believe people are allowed to be hardcore gamers without being hardware nuts. Even though I'm probably the opposite and just obsessed with hardware. I would have been suspect of the card, and I dont even need a BIOS editor to change my volts.

I think I have this "problem." <- In quotes because I noticed it was odd that the mem speeds stay the same for 2d as 3d no matter which I switch, however, no artifacts in 2d... probably because they are good clockers, they can swing it at low v. I'm guessing I and joker can confirm this issue this way? This identical mem speed thing was mentioned as an indicator.

JoKeR said:
I have an eVGA 6800gt that I got from newegg about 2 weeks ago. So far it seems to run just fine. How can I tell if I need this BIOS flash? Were ALL eVGA 6800gt's shipped out with the old BIOS? Should I wait until something goes wrong with it?

To my knowledge ALL eVGA GTs have this Bios. You can check by OCing your card, then in coolbits goto your 2d clocks. Mine for example says 350/1200 for 2d and 430/1200 for 3d.

Also, I would reccomend editing your bios with the vmod. It took over 2 months before my system started showing instability [I've had this GT since early July, early adopter]. But it got so bad so quickly that I had to boot XP in VGA mode to get my computer to run [I'd set 425/1100 as the defaults clocks at start up].

And uh, this really should be a sticky. I've seen ALOT of people RMAing their cards when a vmod flash could have solved their problems. But to be fair we can't blame the partners for this, we ARE OCing the cards. At stock they run just fine.

The Batman said:
To my knowledge ALL eVGA GTs have this Bios. You can check by OCing your card, then in coolbits goto your 2d clocks. Mine for example says 350/1200 for 2d and 430/1200 for 3d.

Also, I would reccomend editing your bios with the vmod. It took over 2 months before my system started showing instability [I've had this GT since early July, early adopter]. But it got so bad so quickly that I had to boot XP in VGA mode to get my computer to run [I'd set 425/1100 as the defaults clocks at start up].

And uh, this really should be a sticky. I've seen ALOT of people RMAing their cards when a vmod flash could have solved their problems. But to be fair we can't blame the partners for this, we ARE OCing the cards. At stock they run just fine.

Just to follow you up and to add a couple things. It took a couple months for my set up to start showing signs of instability as well. But I did RMA mine and they gave me a brand new one, and I didn't over clock that one and still ended with the instability. So maybe that doesn't matter, it could become instable even without the overclock.

I've had a similar prob ONCE with my BFG. But seems to be working fine now. Does anyone know if BFG undervolts 2d also?

The Batman said:

Yeah and saddly people like me are having issues at stock. Im not RMAing till I test it out on another PC because it could be my motherboard for all I know.

Heres my issue...

http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/h/TheClericBanton/images/a2j_mohpa_demo 2004-09-03 17-10-15-23.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/h/TheClericBanton/images/a2j_mohpa_demo 2004-09-03 17-10-15-23.jpg

These were taking using stock settings, temps never passed 70C. Im thinking my ram is overheating on the cards, maybe the HS is seated wrong but Im not going to mess with it since if I remove it, it would void the warrenty.

pistola said:
I wasn't attacking anyone just stating a fact....this forum is to share information just like was done in this thread but I'm just saying that if we pool all the possible fixes into a permanent post at the top of the forum we can eliminate rehashing the same things over and over.

|MaguS| said:
Yeah and saddly people like me are having issues at stock. Im not RMAing till I test it out on another PC because it could be my motherboard for all I know.

Heres my issue...

These were taking using stock settings, temps never passed 70C. Im thinking my ram is overheating on the cards, maybe the HS is seated wrong but Im not going to mess with it since if I remove it, it would void the warrenty.

Try out some new drivers [66.72 were just leaked]. If those don't help it try the Bios flash to 1.4. If none of that helps just RMA it, fucking up at stock there's no excuse.

Weird, I have this same problem on a Leadtek 6800 gt. I have a antec 380S in a Sonata case & intel d875pbz and use Windows xp sp2. I get corruption in 2d, 3d and the bios, but oddly enough this only happens if I leave the card idle for several hours. Otherwise the card works fine. My entire system is at stock.

Is there any way to fix this without voiding my warranty?

So yea its doing it again. Doing the same deal again... I tried uninstalling it, re-installed the drivers and re-did the bios thing, and it continues to be dumb. Any other suggestions?

pistola said:
So yea its doing it again. Doing the same deal again... I tried uninstalling it, re-installed the drivers and re-did the bios thing, and it continues to be dumb. Any other suggestions?

My system crashed at 430/1200. Looks like running the memory out of sync is just killing these cards. Now I can't run OCed at all. Only thing I could suggest would be for you to try flashing to an Ultra bios. Not for the extra volts but hopefully it should allow you to seperate the 2d clocks from the 3d clocks. That way you won't be running the memory that high 24/7. I'll probabley do this at a later date myself, I just don't feel like going to all the trouble of hunting down a stable bios.

Now if you're having trouble at stock speeds I don't know what to tell you.

Ok I flashed the eVGA gt to a Ultra using the Leadteak Bios from Here , that works. Now the clocks are separated for 3d and 2d. Should the be the same? They both read 400mhz and 550 for the RAM, I also set the 3d volts to 1.4 and the 2d to 1.3, and theres a 3rd volt option for "thrl" what does that do? I'll let you know if it fixes the problems after some testing.

I have experienced frequent instabilities with my newly built system (sig), but I am almost positive that most of it is caused by memory incompatibilities (you can check the K8NSNXP-939 threads if you doubt me.) Anyway, i managed to significantly lessen the frequency of my BSODs that mentioned graphics drivers by disabling AGP Fast Write in the BIOS. It seemed to work for me. As for you guys, do you have fast writes enabled?

Ok so that Leadtek bios is working pretty good as it seems, its been about 3 days so far and no problems. I also turned of fast writes just to be safe. I had to turn the clocks down from 400/1.1 to 380/1.0 due to some heat issues, but so far it seems to be working.

pistola said:
Ok so that Leadtek bios is working pretty good as it seems, its been about 3 days so far and no problems. I also turned of fast writes just to be safe. I had to turn the clocks down from 400/1.1 to 380/1.0 due to some heat issues, but so far it seems to be working.

Did you set the clocks seperately? Is your 2d 1000 while your 3D is 1100? As for thrl, that's throttle, basically setting at what point your cpu will throttle when it reaches a certain voltage. More or less useless.

I did do the clocks seperate, but I made them the same 380/1000 on both 2d and 3d.

Hmm, I just started having problems w/ my eVGA gt@ ultra (400/1100) I started another thread about it here : http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=817329 Read that and you will know my problem. It's weird, because I have the 2d clocks @ stock. But when I set the 3d clocks down to stock it runs fine. Wouldn't watching a video still be considered 2d? Do you think my card needs more 2d volts. I really don't want to mess w/ it though because it does run fine at stock. I didn't read through the whole thread, but from what I picked up pistola's problem is solved so I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Any ideas?

My eVGA ran fine for a month without signs of instablility. Maybe your systems is starting to show those signs. I would start by maybe turning off fast writes, that seems to be one of the major contributors to fixing my machine. If that doesn't work do the volts 2d 1.3 and 3d 1.4, oh and I think keeping the clocks the same in both 3d and 2d is key.

Just for referance this is how my card is running right now.
eVGA 6800GT Flashed to Leadtek 6800 Ultra
2d is 380/1000 @ 1.3 volts
3d is 380/1000 @ 1.4 volts
Fast Writes off.

So far its been perfectly stable all week.

pistola said:
My eVGA ran fine for a month without signs of instablility. Maybe your systems is starting to show those signs. I would start by maybe turning off fast writes, that seems to be one of the major contributors to fixing my machine. If that doesn't work do the volts 2d 1.3 and 3d 1.4, oh and I think keeping the clocks the same in both 3d and 2d is key.

Just for referance this is how my card is running right now.
eVGA 6800GT Flashed to Leadtek 6800 Ultra
2d is 380/1000 @ 1.3 volts
3d is 380/1000 @ 1.4 volts
Fast Writes off.

So far its been perfectly stable all week.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's been about a month I've had my gt now, maybe it is starting to show those signs :eek: I will try keeping both 2d and 3d clocks the same, IIRC I already have fast writes off but I will check.

I figured i'd post this just to show exactly what my PC was doing. He's what it looks like...
artifact01.jpg

I've seen that EXACT same graphical effect many times, it was caused by my clockrates and voltage being too high. As soon as I lowered them down a bit, it stopped doing that during benchmarks. I'm used to video cards just locking up on me when I overclock them too high, so that strange "Nintendo" style crash screen was new to me.

pistola said:
I figured i'd post this just to show exactly what my PC was doing. He's what it looks like...
artifact01.jpg
Woah , that's messed up. The weird thing about my problem is that it only crashes while playing a music video in iTunes lol. It's stable for hours and hours of gaming and looping benchs, but playing that video is 2 demanding ;) I don't think I'm gonna mess with my card unless I start having serioius problems like that pic you just posted.

That pic is pretty much identical to the problems I was having before reverting to stock.

Hmm my card just did something really weird. I was just browsing the web , when all the sudden my screen went like tan and blue in diagonal lines. It's kind of hard to explain. I think I'm going to leave my card at stock for now, maybe I will flash it later. I can really see no point in keeping it up anyways, all my games run great the only reason I had it @ ultra was to gain 3d marks (worthless)

v1p3r-386- said:
I can really see no point in keeping it up anyways, all my games run great the only reason I had it @ ultra was to gain 3d marks (worthless)

I feel the same way. After I achieved the 3D mark scores I wanted to get, I put my 6800GT back to stock speeds and will keep it there. My system runs all games and apps just fine at stock so there is no need to push anything. So far, I have had no hardware related problems since my build (3 weeks).

pistola said:
artifact01.jpg
Strange, i just built a new comp with an evga 6800 gt and after working perfectly fine for an hour it changed to doing just what yours is doing, but it covers the whole screen so i cant get into windows. I hadn't oced it or anything. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

eyeofthetiger said:
Strange, i just built a new comp with an evga 6800 gt and after working perfectly fine for an hour it changed to doing just what yours is doing, but it covers the whole screen so i cant get into windows. I hadn't oced it or anything. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Hit F8/F9/10 (one of those forgot now) before windows boots up. You should have the option of booting in VGA mode. Do that, reintall drivers, boot computer 2 or 3 times. Should take care of it.

The Batman said:
Hit F8/F9/10 (one of those forgot now) before windows boots up. You should have the option of booting in VGA mode. Do that, reintall drivers, boot computer 2 or 3 times. Should take care of it.

Hows your evga running? Mine worked good for 3 weeks, then it started again. So I flashed it back, sold it to a friend and got a BFG 6800 GT, and so far so good....

pistola said:
Hows your evga running? Mine worked good for 3 weeks, then it started again. So I flashed it back, sold it to a friend and got a BFG 6800 GT, and so far so good....

She runs fine at stock. Can't OC it. She'll play fine in games but will reboot the computer randomly in 2d. I'm thinking of flashing to an Ultra, or maybe a BFG GT bios [seperate 2d/3d clocks].

Back