Problem with DTS audio in .mkv file

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Not sure if someone can answer this. I have a video file with audio encoded in 6.1 FLAC DTS. For some reason I don't hear the main channels, just apparently the peripheral channels (Music plays fine, all the dialogue sounds extremely quiet).

Just for reference, I don't have a 6.1 system, just stereo, so I think there is some problem with one of my codecs, or some software issue that isn't properly remixing the audio to stereo.

Relevant info:
iMac
VLC
Perian
Flip4Mac

Am I missing a checkbox somewhere? I've gone through every setting I could a couple of times I think.

In VLC go to Audio > Audio device, what is that set to with the file loaded?

I'm not sure where you're looking. Under the basic settings there is no list of audio devices. Under the advanced settings there is a section for "Output modules" underneath audio. There is only one item in that subheading which is simply "Audio output module" which is currently set to default. The other options are Hal AudioUnit Output, File audio output, Audio Memory Output, Dummy audio output. I'm guessing this isn't the section you're thinking of.

I should also note, that every other movie played under VLC is fine.

Have you tried MPlayerX? So far it has played everything I have fine.

Have you tried MPlayerX? So far it has played everything I have fine.

I'd prefer not to switch players if possible. Like I noted in my last post, it's only this single file that's giving me an "issue" and it's not an issue so much as it's not downmixing the channels properly to stereo. I have 100's of movies that playback just fine. Just an issue with this one.

I'd prefer not to switch players if possible. Like I noted in my last post, it's only this single file that's giving me an "issue" and it's not an issue so much as it's not downmixing the channels properly to stereo. I have 100's of movies that playback just fine. Just an issue with this one.

Trying a different player is not making you switch, Just a test to see if it downmixes correctly.

Trying a different player is not making you switch, Just a test to see if it downmixes correctly.

Even before you posted this, I spent the time to DL it and try it out. It does work properly which just makes the current situation more frustrating. I suppose this is one thing I miss from Windows (amongst that and foobar2000), FFmpeg decoding is vast and having all the codec packs necessary is simple. Everything works properly from player to player... even with junk like WMP.

Even before you posted this, I spent the time to DL it and try it out. It does work properly which just makes the current situation more frustrating. I suppose this is one thing I miss from Windows (amongst that and foobar2000), FFmpeg decoding is vast and having all the codec packs necessary is simple. Everything works properly from player to player... even with junk like WMP.

At least it is truly narrowed down to VLC, hopefully just a settings issue.

Back