Problem with desktop.

Spaniard

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have this unusual situation with my desktop. it won't let me delete any shortcut downloaded program with a "exe. in the name. everytime i right-click on it to delete it, the desktop refreshes itself keeping me from deleting it. I have run antivirus and system comes up clean.

Anyone have this happen to them? :confused:

Im running XP Pro.

a shortcut downloaded program with exe in it? Um...wtf is that? Need to be clearer. Either your account does not have any rights to delete or you're antivirus is crap and you're just not getting rid of what you need to.

If I understood your post correctly the shortcuts that were created by programs you installed can’t be deleted from the desktop.

What other software are you running?

It sounds to me like you have some PC monitoring and or repair software running on your PC. So every time you delete a program created shortcut the software you are running brings it back.

I don’t know just a stab in the dark.

To help clear things up:

I need to create a shortcut to the updater for City of heroes and then change the target so im able to download the training server. I chose to create the shortcut on the desktop but everytime i right click it, so I can then select properties, the desktop refreshes itself. I then tried to delete it but the samething keeps happening. I also tried to create it in the folder (thats why i tried the desktop) and the samething happened. :confused:

Im running spy sweeper & norton antivirus

So basically what you're saying is that every time you right click on something, Explorer crashes and the desktop refreshes and you're just not getting anywhere?

Can you right click on ANY file on the desktop without the screen refreshing? What it sounds like is corrupt extensions.

Nasty_Savage said:
So basically what you're saying is that every time you right click on something, Explorer crashes and the desktop refreshes and you're just not getting anywhere?

Im able to click on some jpg on my destop but the shortcut that was created cannot be modified or deleted.

It looks like its the explorer crashig but if so, wouldn't it affect all shortcuts that I right click? :confused:

Spaniard said:
It looks like its the explorer crashig but if so, wouldn't it affect all shortcuts that I right click? :confused:
Not if some extensions are screwed.

SirKenin said:
Can you right click on ANY file on the desktop without the screen refreshing? What it sounds like is corrupt extensions.

I am able to click on some. It does allow me to select the file. but nothing further.

even if the extention is corrupt, shouldn't I be able to still delete it? its puzzling me that I cannot remove it either.

Spaniard said:
I am able to click on some. It does allow me to select the file. but nothing further.

even if the extention is corrupt, shouldn't I be able to still delete it? its puzzling me that I cannot remove it either.
No. If an/some extension(s) is/are fubar, right clicking on the file will cause explorer to crash.

SirKenin said:
No. If an/some extension(s) is/are fubar, right clicking on the file will cause explorer to crash.

ok, what can I do to correct this since trying to delete the file will not work? :(

You have to grab ShellExView and find out which ones are screwed by manually turning each one off. I'm going to warn you, though. It's a really serious pain in the ass.

Good luck. :)

SirKenin said:
You have to grab ShellExView and find out which ones are screwed by manually turning each one off. I'm going to warn you, though. It's a really serious pain in the ass.

Good luck. :)

darn it!! thanks :confused:

Are you still able to delete the file by single-clicking, and pressing delete? And rename by clicking, and pressing F2?

Also, what comes back when you run

assoc .lnk

from the command prompt?

zeplar said:
Are you still able to delete the file by single-clicking, and pressing delete? And rename by clicking, and pressing F2?

Also, what comes back when you run

assoc .lnk

from the command prompt?

no to both questions. and the assoc.lnk yields:

.lnk= lnkfile

Hmmm. If you can't delete the file just by pushing delete alone, then I'm starting to have my doubts about the file associations.. :S

Try disabling wierd associations in ShellExView and see if you can delete the file, but that is really wierd. I can no longer say convincingly that your extensions are the problem.. :|

Back