Problem with defragmenting on diskeeper

silz

Weaksauce
Hi,

I have recently used Partition Magic to resize the partitions and it looks like now its out of whack. I have 2 partitions, one is C partition for programs and the other is D partition for data. I have separated 1 HDD into 2 partitions earlier as was told that it would make the HDD more organize.

Previously, my paging file is located at 25%-32% section of partition C. Windows is at 0%-8% and the rest of the programs are at 9% to 25% and 32% to 36%. So my paging file at that time was right in the middle of the data. Right now, its right at the end of C partition that is at 95% to 100%. The 36% to 94% area is all blank space. Now, I understand that system files that is further from the disk head will cause some performance degradation since the disk head has to go back and forth each time it needs to read data and the paging file.

So, I was wondering if there is anyway I can make the paging file at the at 36% side so it done't have to go the end of the disk each time. My C partition is only 50GB. I have a friend told me that because the partition is small, it won't increase the seek time by so much especially with modern HDD. My HDD has a total of 160GB. Any comment is appreciated. Thanks.

silz

moving the swap file to another location on the same partition won't do anything for performance.

gigabyte1024 said:
moving the swap file to another location on the same partition won't do anything for performance.

Agreed which is why I have at least two hard drives on my systems. At the beginning of the second drive I make a small partition just for the swap file.

I agree with them.
If you place the pagefile on a second physical disk, or split it between two physical disks you can see performance gains, but moving it around in the same physical disk shouldn't make any real difference.

Back