problem with crysis on 5870

verbel

Weaksauce
So I have my 5870 for a bout a week now and it runs everything I throw at it with no problems. When I go to play crisis it gets very jerky and skips allot. It makes it unplayable. It is like this even when I run it on Med setting. Like I said it runs everything else with no problem. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Please point out CPU frequency that you are using in Crysis. Stock or overclocked?

I am using stock which I believe is 2.4
The thing is The game ran fine with my 8800gts that I was previously using. I was monitoring my CPU last time I played and it was at about 60-70% utilization.

Push your CPU to the max and there will be a difference. Crysis doesn't have a multi threading optimization, so core speed is important - not core numbers. I tested my HD5870 and it is bottlenecked by Core2Duo CPU clocked less then 3Ghz. Crysis already is a ATI HD5xxx game and there is noway 8800gts to beat any GPU from ATI's 5-th generation. So maybe you game settings or monitor resolutions were different on 8800gts.

Last edited:
I am using the same resolution I was using with my 8800. I can run it with higher settings on my 8800. I wonder if its driver issues.

I am using the same resolution I was using with my 8800. I can run it with higher settings on my 8800. I wonder if its driver issues.

You could sell that card off as a 5870 beater and make money off a poor sod ;)

Seriously though, sounds like a driver/software conflict on your pc - no way should 5870 run that slow.

Sounds like a driver issue.

x2 or something else is going on. If you were able to play it fine with an 8800, then I highly doubt its your processor (who knows though)

is it patched to the latest version?

Make sure you're running Crysis v. 1.21
Make sure you're running the official 9.10 Cats
What is the wattage rating of your power supply? Do you have another PSU you can test with which you can test your system?

I am running the most updated version of crysis with the most current ATI drivers.

My power supply is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189005

I havent found a game that does not run well other than crysis. UT3 runs fine and I've been playing dragon age with no issues. I know those games are no crysis but I would think I would suffer some issues if my card was defective. I tried turnin the settings in crysis down to low and it still lags.

re-install crysis`?
tough to say why it wont work well.
beta 9.11 you could test also.

crysis has had random problems with ATI cards since launch. i couldnt even run it on my 4870x2 because it hated the combo of that card and LCDTVs. it didnt support 60hz and the color was waaaay off. it was somewhat documented on the ati forums, we all had the same problem and it went a year without being fixed. might still exist now...

So I have my 5870 for a bout a week now and it runs everything I throw at it with no problems. When I go to play crisis it gets very jerky and skips allot. It makes it unplayable. It is like this even when I run it on Med setting. Like I said it runs everything else with no problem. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Are we talking the first game in the series"Crysis"? And not Crysis Warhead? I have only been playing Crysis Warhead on my 5770 and it runs very well on my system. I believe I have the latest patch which is 1.2? And latest drivers from ATI, runs good under windows xp and win7. win7 is a new load and xp was just removal of old 7900gtx drivers and a reg clean. I play @ 1600x1200 "GAMER" with no AA. I would suggest removal of all VIDEO drivers, uninstall the game, run a decent reg cleaner such as ccleaner and reinstall the latest drivers from ATi install and patch the game. Good luck..

Back