• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

problem with cloning

rersoap

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
73
I have an older seagate hard drive and wanted to upgrade to a new western digital caviar black. I currently have an asus p5b deluxe and cloned the hard drive, via usb and an external enclosure and used acronis to do the cloning. It seemed like it was going to work but when I plugged in the new drive to replace the old, all I got was a blue screen. Did I miss anything? It looks like windows starts up but then dies? Help!! Also, using windows xp and wishing to upgrade to 7.

thanks
rich
 
I just did a clone from a WD to a WD using the WD version of Acronis. It worked out OK.

Before I did the cloning I did a chkdsk of the source disk. There were no disk errors. It may be that Acronis copied some mostly harmless errors to the new drive. I would run chkdsk and then do the cloning.
 
Why would you do this via USB if you're not forced to (laptop) ? When does the BSOD happen, right during boot ? If so, probably a driver problem (drive controller), what kind of clone did you do ?
 
I cloned the old harddrive onto the brand new one. When I then switch out the drives and start up the computer, that is when I get the blue screen. The new drive, when I am starting with it, is hooked up via sata, not usb. Am I making sense? I also did a ckdsk on the old one and came back with no errors. If it is a driver issue, do I then download the drivers onto the new drive when I have it connected via usb? Sorry, noob here.
 
Usually this problem should not happen with a simple cloning (not the one that removes the drivers). About the BSOD, I was asking if it happened in the first seconds of windows boot, before getting to the desktop.

Simplest thing would be to clone again but with both drives in SATA.
 
Why are you cloning the drive if you are just going to install Windows7?

Also the reason you are having problems might be because your old drive is PATA and the new drive being SATA could be in AHCI mode. If you install Windows not being in AHCI mode and then try to boot it being in AHCI mode you will have problems.

Try setting your SATA controller to IDE mode in BIOS. Then again IDE mode is far less desireable than AHCI mode so in the end you should just do a fresh install of Windows anyways.
 
Good call, I didn't think of a PATA drive, that could explain things. No need to do a fresh install just for AHCI however, there are ways to switch to AHCI. In fact the first time I did it was with a P5B.
 
The old hard drive is a sata but configured as ide in bios, not ahci. The new drive has the same configuration in the bios.
 
The reason I was cloning the xp drive was so that it would be on the bigger drive and then I could just do the upgrade from xp to 7. I also needed to backup all my files so I actually have two new drives that I bought, one to use and one to do backups, like I should have been doing all along.
 
what we are saying is that you have to do a clean install anyway.
might as well just do it now.
you dont need xp to be working for windows 7 to upgrade.
just start your upgrade process now, as is.
 
for those of you who may have been wondering, I checked my new drive and saw that when I formatted, I did not do it as NTFS, which is what the old drive was formatted as. So I reformatted and cloned and no problems with the cloning. BUT I did get SMART errors on the drive itself. I tried the second drive and it was doa and would not even format. Bad batch of wd drives I guess. Doing the rma now with new egg. Hopefully the next two will be better than these two.
 
for those of you who may have been wondering, I checked my new drive and saw that when I formatted, I did not do it as NTFS, which is what the old drive was formatted as. So I reformatted and cloned and no problems with the cloning.

It should not matter if it was formatted or not before a clone. The cloning operation will overwrite all used sectors.

BUT I did get SMART errors on the drive itself. I tried the second drive and it was doa and would not even format. Bad batch of wd drives I guess. Doing the rma now with new egg. Hopefully the next two will be better than these two.

Now that is more likely the problem. Were the drives packed well when shipped?
 
but there was nothing on the new drive, when I formatted for the first time, I did not tell it to format it as ntfs, which is what the old drive was that I was cloning. When I formatted the second time, I told it to format at NTFS and it worked. Maybe it was just coincidense?

The drives looked like they were packed reasonably well. who knows?
 
Back
Top