Problem with CHKDSK running on every bootup

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
I have this problem now with Windows XP Pro running CHKDSK on my D partition everytime my pc starts up. Anyway to turn this off...it's run about 20 times now...can't be anything on the disc that is screwed up by now :D

Thanks!
DarkCyber

Funny...I have a similar problem. It always finds something very minor to fix...like a file in \Temp with a truncated entry or something.

1 or 2 temp files each reboot.

Is this is disk or registry problem?

I've run several disk integrity checking tools and everything checks out.

I could use some advice as well as the other Poster.

Thanks,
Jeff

do u use norton ulitites, there was a disk checking thing there. if you did, it will stop after some time.

The one time I had chkdsk running at every start up of the pc the only way I got it quit doing it was to run chkdsk /f while windows was running. Of course it then told me it couldn't do that while windows was running and asked if I wanted it to run at the next startup and I said yes. Then I rebooted. After it did it's thing I never had that problem.

Just somethin you could try. It couldn't hurt anyway.

I assume this is something to do with the disc.

I had my pc on over the weekend with my tax software loaded up and went to town and after that the pc had rebooted an hung up on the ASUS splash screen. I have my hard drive partitioned into a C: partition (5 gig) for the OS and then then rest of my 160 gig drive for my D: partition.

After that crash the pc wouldn't boot into Windows XP for nothing, so I had to restore an image of my C: partition which was only about a month old. Windows XP was running CHKDSK after this crash and before I put the image back on and it is continuing to do so after I put that image back on there. It only runs it on D:. It's run about 20 times or more now.

I do have Norton System Works 2003 and have scheduled it to run and it did run and it still continues running CHKDSK on each boot up :mad:

I'm lost!

Contributed by Chuckle01
CHKDSK Runs Uncontrollably Every Boot Up

Check the "Check Disk - Disk Checking Runs Upon Boot" entry in the Windows XP From A to Z section of kellys-korner-xp.com for tips:

Check Disk runs on every boot: Note - I have seen this happen when Windows File Protection has either been disabled or not allowed to run upon canceling the bootup Check Disk.

Suggestions and Checkpoints:

Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: fsutil dirty query c:
(Modify the drive letter accordingly)

If it comes back as dirty, it hasn't cleared. For more information go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: CHKNTFS /?

Option: From a command prompt type chkntfs /D and then reboot, a chkdsk should run but not again on next boot.

This edit does not work for all users, circumstances depending:

Disable or Enable CheckDisk Upon Boot (Line 82)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q316/5/06.asp

Checkpoint:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Highlight the Winlogon file.

In the list look for "SFCScan", this should be set to (0) if it is set to (1) the scan will happen at every boot.

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Look for the REG_MULTI_SZ value with the following name: BootExecute. This value contains commands that will be executed at startup. The default value is: autocheck autochk *

After scheduling one or more chkdsks, the entry will contain one or more autochk lines. Delete each of these lines and put the default one in place.

If you always want a check to be performed at startup, change the value to: autocheck autochk /f *

If you don't want any checks to be performed, delete all autocheck entries.

Last checkpoint: Modify as needed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\cleanuppath
Registry entry should read: %SystemRoot%\system32\cleanmgr.exe /D %c

How to schedule a CHKDSK on every boot
Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Computer After Upgrade to Windows XP

Scandisk after a Bad Shutdown - Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: CHKNTFS/T:4
Where 4 is the amount of waiting time.

Hope this helps - Chuckle01

Basically what Paithar suggested is a good place to start

Damn I miss Chuckle01

Back