Problem with BIOS/Windows 7 detecting a HDD

Thrice

n00b
Back with another question..

I recently built a computer with Windows 7 and an SSD for booting. I had the drive set to AHCI in the SATA0 port and it installed and booted fine.

Once I had everything up and running I turned the computer off, plugged in a WD 1.5TB HDD in to SATA1 and restarted my computer. My computer booted just fine but when I got into Windows I didn't see the HDD drive. I restarted my computer again and went in to the CMOS. When I go to standard CMOS features I don't see any drives (SSD showed up under IDE Channel 0 Master and optical under 0 Slave before) under any of the IDE Channels.

Any suggestions on what I need to do get all my drives showing up in the BIOS and the HDD showing up in Windows?

Thanks.

Check to see if the ports are turned on?

Windows isn't your problem if the BIOS can't see it.

Sounds like its BIOS. I know a few people had this type of problem because the bios did not fully support SSD (weird and unknown but it happens), and because you didnt supply your hardware details there could be other possibilities.

a) Replace cables?
b) Bios update?
c) Power supply issue?
d) Re-installed another OS?
e) Faulty motherboard?
f) Did you 'Upgrade' your OS whilst the data was on the 1.5TB S-ata Hdd (Errors occur alot even if you install it on a different drive, then re-plug in the old drive).

I know all of those problems have occurred to a few people. Simplest solution personally is to connect it to a different PC and see how far it goes.

Also Im pretty sure Windows 7 have recently sent out a 'Windows Update' for SSD Drives (I think)

So here is what I have right now. SSD and Optical plugged in to Port 0/1 set to AHCI, HDD plugged in to Port 4 set to IDE. When I'm in the BIOS the only drive that shows up for the IDE Channel is the HDD under Channel 0 Master. If I have the SSD or optical plugged in to 0-4 they don't show up in the IDE Channel config but they function fine and load in Windows. When I load the computer the Post screen tells me that my SSD is active. I go in to Windows and I can see all drives and I can initialized the HDD for formatting.

During OS installation on the SSD the HDD wasn't even plugged. Previously, before I loaded the OS all drives (SSD, optical, HDD) showed up fine in the IDE Channel config (in IDE state). When I loaded the OS with only the SSD and optical plugged in to 0/1 with AHCI they showed up. So next I went and plugged the HDD in Port 2, went to the BIOS, they didn't show up but the OS still loaded I just couldn't see the HDD. I unplugged the HDD and BIOS still showed nothing in the IDE Channel config. If I plug the HDD in to Port 4 (configed for IDE) with SSD and optical in 0/1 the HDD shows up in IDE Channel 0 Master and when Windows loads everything is fine. I don't know if I should just go with this setting for now since it actually works.

If each drive is working fine for windows I'm thinking my cables would be fine. Same goes with the PSU right? And again for the Mobo, if everything is working it just isn't showing up the mobo (but was before) probably isn't faulty just might be a setting I need to change. Since this is a brand new build there is no other OS or data on any of the drives. I'm planning on updating the BIOS because there is a newer version, I just not confident in how to perform the update.

Here is everything I had for my build that might be pertinent.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60gb
Power Supply: OCZ 700MXSP
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB EARS
CD/DVD ROM: ASUS DRW-24B1ST

OK bud few things.

I'm almost certain that you can not have mixed AHCI/IDE on a board. I have a GA board like you and yes there is a switch for port some ports to be in IDE Legacy or IDE Native modes, but those do nothing when AHCI is on.

If your SSD is showing up under an IDE channel, then AHCI is not enabled.

Does the HDD have jumpers? (yes I understand it's a SATA drive)

Back