Problem with BF2

twitchy10

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to post this in but it makes the most sense to me.

While playing BF2 online anytime I get into a vehicle, or sometimes just randomly throughout gameplay, the game freezes and I have to restart my computer. Anyone have any idea why it will do this and how to fix it?

system specs , driver versions, os , etc would be nice.

have you tried t o reinstall the game ? thats all i can offer without detailed specs etc.

Hard to say. Could be memory. Could be vid card, or drivers. There are some steps to clear out some cache in the game. I don't have them handy. Have you tried the good old reseat cables and cards in the pc itself first?

You may want to delete all the files/folders in your cache directory (below) after installing the latest video drivers.

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache

alright, the specs are: (everything here is about 2 months old except the video card)

athlon 64 venice 3400
1gb corsair valueselect
foxconn socket 939 nvidia nforce 4 ultra mobo
this is brand new btw (just arrived yesterday, but the problem has been happening before this came) evga 7900gs KO
win xp mce

I will try reinstalling the game again and the video drivers I have a just the stock drivers that come with the card.
I was having this problem from the day I bought the game. I got fed up with it and returned it to EA and they sent a replacement. Installed it and it worked a little better. It seems to only freeze up when I play multiplayer and get inside a vehicle. The computer becomes completely unresponsive and I have to shut it down manually.

EDIT: I have reseated all cables etc. I just replaced the video card 2 days ago. I'll check the cache and reinstall

try switching your sound renderer in the audio options. It could be an onboard audio or soundcard issue. Switch it to software and see if that helps. If it does see if there is an updated driver for the onboard sound or driver card, whatever you are using. If it's already on software, switch it to hardware and set it on the least intense setting.

try switching your sound renderer in the audio options. It could be an onboard audio or soundcard issue. Switch it to software and see if that helps. If it does see if there is an updated driver for the onboard sound or driver card, whatever you are using. If it's already on software, switch it to hardware and set it on the least intense setting.

will try

I've tried reinstalling, changing/updating drivers, switching from software to hardware audio rendering, and the problem still persists. Also, when the game initially starts (the actual gameplay) everything is totally laggy and choppy. It will do that for about 30 seconds and then mellow out, but then every once in a while it will lag a bit.
I'm at a complete loss as to what the problem is. My brother has an AMD 64 Venice 3200 with an EVGA 6800GS and it handles it no problem. Hell, my laptop (Core Duo 1.66ghz and ati x1700, dell e1505) handles gameplay better than the desktop.

so yeah, anyone else have any ideas? nothing has worked so far
could the problem possibly be the fact that I'm using wireless internet at 11 mbps? Because i've had no problems with my lappy doing it

How does the game perform in single-player mode? You may want to look in event viewer for clues, and run a testing suite like Sisandra on your rig to see if anything stands out. After that, it's pretty much swapping components one by one or looking for obscure Windows XP stuff, like turning off certain services, etc. Scanning for spyware etc.

you know i was having a bad problem with connection problems after i connected to a server and played for a while. i was using a wireless-b 11mbps network. but i was also have internet problems too so i changed to that Abit pci-e 1x card from newegg and got a new 54mbps wireless modem from Qwest and everything works 100 times better. i would try, if you can, to connect to the internet via a CAT 5 cable and see if that helps. if it does, you know that its got to be a problem with the home network...

How does the game perform in single-player mode? You may want to look in event viewer for clues, and run a testing suite like Sisandra on your rig to see if anything stands out. After that, it's pretty much swapping components one by one or looking for obscure Windows XP stuff, like turning off certain services, etc. Scanning for spyware etc.

In single player it is a little choppy at first but it mellows out. As far as the game freezing up and crashing, that never happens.

Well the choppiness in single player mode at first is probably the game loading partially onto your swap file on your hard drive. Sounds like could be a connection issue. As the other guy said, if you could check your online game performance without the wireless connection, that would be a good test.

Then again, if you have this issue only with one demanding game, and not other similarly demanding games, then it would point to a driver issue of some sort, or a windows setting, imo. For example, I had a hell of a time with Half Life 2 at one point, in spite of other games working fine. I don't even remember how I resolved it, however it had to do with a config file that is stored in the windows profile. BF2 is similar in that it uses profiles, which seems to end up being a weakness if you do anything weird with your user profile, like move the default location of your My Documents folder for example.

1. Latest Chipset Drivers
2. Latest Nvidia Forcware
3. Latest Bios
4. What resolution are you attempting to play at? Higher resolutions require 2GB with this game.

1. Latest Chipset Drivers
2. Latest Nvidia Forcware
3. Latest Bios
4. What resolution are you attempting to play at? Higher resolutions require 2GB with this game.

i've got it at 1024x768 60hz

for some reason it sets the default at medium settings (which it shouldn't with the 7900gs ko, at least I don't think it should.) and it still does it there.

Back