Problem with any video file

mojohns

n00b
Issues playing any video file:
When trying to play a video file, windows media player opens but does not play the video. There is no video or audio. In fact, the status bar at the bottom either begins to scroll (as if the video was playing) or it does not begin at all. Shortly after, WMP becomes completely unresponsive and does not close unless I end the process in windows task manager.
I have not added or removed anything from the computer (at least I don’t remember doing so) and all the temps look “normal”. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated! My apologies if I posted this in the wrong area.

Intel Core 2
6400 @ 2.13Ghz
2.18 Ghz, 2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
XP Pro - SP2

Get the k-lite codec pack, which will allow you to play most anything and also comes with Mediaplayer Classic. Don't know why your WMP has gone wrong, but I never use it to play video files or DVD's since MPC does it so much better.

1 I would try a different player or reinstall WMP
2 I would try a different driver version if you recently updated your video drivers

Install ffdshow as this gives you a decoding part of the codec for just about any video/audio material you will watch. Its highly configurable to really get the best out of your videos.
It also does not interfere with your installed codecs if you wish to keep those for encoding.

If you aren't dead set on using WMP, I'd suggest trying out VLC Player, it plays virtually everything under the sun and requires no special codec packs. It also has a nice minimal interface.

Back