Problem with Android OS in a chart...

lol:


Josh Says:
October 28th, 2011 at 8:22 am

When Ice-cream sandwich comes out, you’ll need another color bar as the Nexus S is probably the only currently available phone that will ever get it.
 
Chart is bogus on the iPhone side......As i recall using my iPhone 2G, 3 years after launch, I was not able to use iOS 4 as the chart says (iOS 4 released in '10, 3 years after release of the 2G which it says "On Current Major Version", so far as I can tell this means most current OS version...)
 
Pretty sure this was posted a couple weeks ago when it first got spread around.

This is why I'm getting Nexus phones from now on. Though my OG Droid was the best at being updated until its hardware ran out of steam. I could put 2.3.7 on it if I wanted, but all 2.3+ ROMs run like ass on it which I'm sure is the reason Moto didn't update it in the first place. Can't wait for the G-Nex :).
 
Haha, pretty obvious the initial article was fueled by Apple fanboyism.

A year from now when everything Android is running ICS on quad-core cpus this should be pretty laughable.
 
I think as long as you have 2.2 froyo you are fine. Just my opinion.
 
After reading and thinking about it.. I look at it like this, Sometimes the latest greatest os isn't a smart idea on an existing piece of hardware, Using windows as an example... would you put windows 7 on a Pentium II? would you put gingerbread/honeycomb on a OG droid? same difference. Hardware gets old and needs to be replaced in order to keep up with the software coming out..

It makes logical sense that Grandmas old Pentium II wouldn't run battlefield 3, so why would your ancient dinosaur cellphone run the latest and greatest os/apps? lol:D
 
Over 75% of the Android phones are running 2.2 or higher. So fragmentation is hardly an issue.
 
Let me pull out my old iPhone and ask Siri if.....oh wait, it didn't get that update.
 
Siri isn't an OS...

It is however artificially obsoleting hardware thus causing fragmentation in the precious iOS ecosystem. However, iSheep turn a blind eye to that.

Par course for Apple though. They did it with MMS too and probably other functionality I don't give a shit about because I've had it forever with Android.
 
I think tech users of 2011 are assuming a "push button, get upgrade" experience with everything. Download the firmware, or put in the DVD, or go on the app store, and boom, upgrade. Users of iPhones are among the most expecting, as they are used to iTunes just telling them from time to time "hay let me make yer iPhone more betterer!" Apple even took this back to Mac OS, making an entire desktop OS upgrade a button push.

The idea of being told "well, you can't upgrade" is becoming a strange exception in this culture. The frustration goes up significantly faster as the phone's power goes up. A low-end barely-functioning Android flip phone with a resistive touch screen may be excluded from upgrades, but my 1ghz 8MP camera phone, specifically designed to compete with the iPhone, can't be upgraded either? Why not? As a somewhat tech-saavy user I'm a little baffled why my "lol iPhone 3GS" work phone went through two full point revisions while my Incredible is on the version it shipped with over a year ago, and Verizon botched two planned GB rollouts.
 
I think tech users of 2011 are assuming a "push button, get upgrade" experience with everything. Download the firmware, or put in the DVD, or go on the app store, and boom, upgrade. Users of iPhones are among the most expecting, as they are used to iTunes just telling them from time to time "hay let me make yer iPhone more betterer!" Apple even took this back to Mac OS, making an entire desktop OS upgrade a button push.

The idea of being told "well, you can't upgrade" is becoming a strange exception in this culture. The frustration goes up significantly faster as the phone's power goes up. A low-end barely-functioning Android flip phone with a resistive touch screen may be excluded from upgrades, but my 1ghz 8MP camera phone, specifically designed to compete with the iPhone, can't be upgraded either? Why not? As a somewhat tech-saavy user I'm a little baffled why my "lol iPhone 3GS" work phone went through two full point revisions while my Incredible is on the version it shipped with over a year ago, and Verizon botched two planned GB rollouts.

Agreed. Phones like the Droid Incredible did not get enough love from HTC/Verizon. I blame Verizon far more then HTC in terms of the Droid Incredible (my wife has one) because there were constant leaks of Android 2.3.x for the Droid Incredible from HTC including OTA's that were pulled for one reason or another.

However, my Thunderbolt being fucked over is squarely on HTC's shoulders. If I hadn't rooted my phone I'd still be sitting at shitty 2.2.2 instead of 2.3.7. At this rate HTC has probably lost me as a customer because their support is becoming shitty unless it's a newly released phone. I don't blame Google one bit. This is what happens when you have an open platform. At least I always make sure my phones can been rooted and have unlocked bootloaders because I can always keep up with Android.

I'll patiently wait for an SDK port of ICS for the time being and once the source code is released, I'll patiently wait for CyanogenMod 9.
 
Back
Top