Problem with A64 2800 and Aopen Ak86l

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I just put together this system booted it with 2 trancend ddr400 256 single sided eight chip dimms in only the first two dimm sockets. xp pro installed okay, booted up registry error. Then the mouse froze. I pulled the dimm out of the socket 2, problem seemed to go away then I tried a different dimm another Brand new never been used module same transcend brand and specs boom! problems returned. I moved the new stick to socket 3 so far no problems. Is this something to do with the single double sided thing or the a64 memory controller? Any info would help

the same thing again with socket 3 i am going back to 1 dimm and see if that will work. What good is a 64 bit chip if it has problems with certain types of mem?

I went to aopens web site It seems that a lot of A64 boards have problems with certain ram if you install more than 1 dimm. any one else know about this.

I spoke with Aopen tech support about my problem. They say this problem is a known limitation of the KT800 chipset and Athlon 64 the motherboard manufacturers know about it. What good is a 64 bit chip if the maxumum memory that will work for sure is a 1 or 2 gig single dimm!! I read Hardocps reveiw and one in Maximum PC about the ak86l Aopen. I didnt' notice any caveats about those limitations in either. Not all of us can afford 1 gig and 2 gig PC3200 dimms. If I had know I could not use 256 single sided dimms I would not have bought into the AMD hype. This has soured my taste for AMD64.

Back