Problem with a fresh install of Windows XP Pro

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
Ok my brother's laptop was having problems so he formatted it and installed Windows on it. Doesn't boot to desktop. He brings it to me. I look at his Windows disk it looks scratch up bad, so I figure maybe that's the problem. I then format and install Windows using my disk. Well I get the Blue screen of death. But it reboots so fast that I cannot read the. Stop codes. I can boot to safe mode. How can I get the stop codes? Is there a way to slow reboot so I can read them? Thank you.

You can boot into safemode then go to c:\windows and look for memory.dmp. Use windb to debug it.

I did fine out that in the Devise Manager there are 7 items that no drivers where installed for. I don't know why they should of use Microsoft's drivers from the install windows xp disc. But it was in safe mode to find that out. Heres the list.

Mass Storage Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

Network Controller

PCI Device

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

You need to go to the manufacturers website and find drivers for it. Search by model number. Also, if you go to the start up and recovery, you can make it so it does not reboot automatically.

Well when you install Windows you don't need to do that. Now think.... If Windows did not install the drivers then no compoter would boot.

You need to go to the manufacturers website and find drivers for it. Search by model number. Also, if you go to the start up and recovery, you can make it so it does not reboot automatically.

Well when you install Windows you don't need to do that. Now think.... If Windows did not install the drivers then no compoter would boot.

Thats not always true when using a pre-configured computer from Dell/HP/Acer/etc.

It usually isn't a problem if you are using the manufacturer OS recovery CD, but it can be a nightmare when not.

I just did a install on a Dell and I had to get quite a few driver packages from them.

Thats not always true when using a pre-configured computer from Dell/HP/Acer/etc.

It usually isn't a problem if you are using the manufacturer OS recovery CD, but it can be a nightmare when not.

I just did a install on a Dell and I had to get quite a few driver packages from them.

Exactly.

Since you are not using the disc from the manufacturer it will NOT automatically load all the drivers you will need to find them on the web site or use the install disc and see if it can find them.

Never heard of that. I've used a regular Windows XP disc on several Dell laptops before and Windows installed generic drivers. This is a Gateway and I don't see why it would be different.

Again, a normal XP install disc will not have all the drivers for every single piece of hardware you have. A disc from dell or HP would have all the drivers necessary for that laptop.

Why don't you post the make and model of the laptop.

Never heard of that. I've used a regular Windows XP disc on several Dell laptops before and Windows installed generic drivers. This is a Gateway and I don't see why it would be different.

XP will load generic drivers for simple things like chipset, IDE and PCI bridges. Those devices have a basic interface that they all have to have. However, the generic drivers won't give access to advanced functions those devices might have.

XP will not load modem, nic, sound, video, etc if there isn't a driver included when the disc you're using was built by Microsoft. This has always been the case, and always will be, even for Vista and 7. Search the forums. There are many, many, many cases where people go to install XP and it can't find their hard drive because there are no SATA driver included with their disc. They have to download them, put them on a floppy, and push F6 to make XP load them during Setup.

If it's a fresh load and you get a blue screen, check your ram.... memtest86.

I have NEVER saw a computer not at the very LEAST boot into Windows on a fresh load.

P.S. I guaruntee I have preformed at LEAST 1,500 fresh loads of Windows, Linux and OSX in the last ten years. Prolly 90% have been custom built machines, but I bet 100 or more have been Dells, HP's, IBM's(and Lenovo) Averatec's, Compaqs or Toshibas.

Yeah, I would do what QwertyJuan is advising. Also, you can go here and here for access to downloads for that laptop.

windows xp will not always install all drivers. However, the computer should still be able to boot with reduced functionality. If you are getting blue screens, something is up.

At the very least, in safe mode, you can go to system properties in control panel, advanced, startup and recovery, and disable automatic restart. Next time it blue screens right down any files it points to or error codes and get back.

edit: also, like qwertyjuan said, double check the memory with memtest86.

Well I did find out that it maybe the fact that my so disc doesn't have sp2 on it. In the morning when I get out of work I will install sp2 thru safe mode. Gateways web site explains that you need sp2. So maybe it's not the memory that one of you mention.

Last edited:
Well I did find out that it maybe the fact that my so disc doesn't have sp2 on it. In the morning when I get out of work I will install sp2 thru safe mode. Gateways web site explains that you need sp2. So maybe it's not the memory that one of you mention.

It's seriously not that hard to test the ram.... either burn the ISO to a CD, or make a boot-disk(floppy if it has a drive that is) and let it run all night. Check it in the AM. If it passes, then you will know that at least your ram is good... alot of times when I format people's computers and I have extra time, I will let memtest86 run for a few hours while I do other things. Then go back to see how it made out.

FWIW, I have seen MORE ram go bad than any other non-moving computer part.(and almost as often as HDD's and Fan's)

for future reference, this guy will help you integrate sp2 and customize xp onto the disc
http://www.nliteos.com/

Back