Problem with 8500 and Half-Life 2

lupodwdm

n00b
I have an ATI 8500le128 meg running on a 3.0E prescott with 1 gig ram. The card works pretty well in Half-Life 2 considering how old it is, but I am getting a strange problem with the textures. In every scene there are a few triangle shapes missing from the textures and there are all these sparkling dots on some of the textures. I upgraded the drivers to the lastest verson the card supported, but same results.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I believe that your video card is dying and the sparkling dots may be artifacts. Possibly a time to upgrade the card?

sounds like you're getting some serious overheating, GPU and memory. My 8500le 128mb runs it perfectly, so it must be that it's wearing with age, unless you overclock?

the fan on my 8500LE died long time ago.. Im playin HL2 without the fan with no artifacts (although i only played about 45mins straight)

lupodwdm said:
I have an ATI 8500le128 meg running on a 3.0E prescott with 1 gig ram. The card works pretty well in Half-Life 2 considering how old it is, but I am getting a strange problem with the textures. In every scene there are a few triangle shapes missing from the textures and there are all these sparkling dots on some of the textures. I upgraded the drivers to the lastest verson the card supported, but same results.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Does this happen only on Half Life 2 or in other games as well (such as doom3). The answer to that will answer your question.

If it happens in other games sounds like a board ready to die. If it happens only on HL2 it may be a system configuration problem. Best thing in that case would be to just format your hard drive and start clean.

Another thing it could be is your power supply (but I doubt it)

Back