Problem with 5870 and DP-DVI adapter

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a Saphire DP-DVI singlelink active adapter. but can't get it to work in windows. The monitor does power on during parts of the boot process so the adapter itself appears to be good, however if I have it attached when the windows login screen appears my system just constantly flashes the monitors on and off until I unplug it. Once I do that I can get into windows without problem but still can't use the adapter.

When I try to enable it using the windows screen resolution utility it silently fails. Screens cycle on and off and then I get a 15 second change countdown but the monitor itself remains off, remains in the disabled screen portion of the layout dialog, and it continues to indicate that I must click apply before making any changes; just like beforehand.

I've also tried enabling it using CCC, and it thinks the monitor is on and windows will let me drag dialogs off the edge of the last working screen and onto it but it remains dark.

I'm using a 5870 with two NEC 2090's and a 3090. One of the 2090's is on the DP port, the second 2090 and the 3090 are on DVI. I'm using Catalyst 10.8 at the moment because I can't get 10.9 to install.

bookmarked this thread as I am about to order that same adapter w/ my 2x2007's and 1x3007

By pulling both DVI cables at boot time I was able to get past the windows login screen on the DP output. About 30 second to a minute later though and it started blinking in and out to the sound of a USB device being un/plugged for maybe 15 seconds before going permanently dark.

I've got an Ubuntu 10.4.1 iso downloading that I'll use to test with tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm it being either a windows of a hardware problem that way.

Back