Problem with 22" LCD

Ok, well I recently sold off my Conroe rig with an 8800GTS in it and am currently using a backup Sony Vaio machine which I had laying around and I purchased a PCI-E Radeon X1650 Pro 512 to use and play some CSS untill I buy my self a new machine. I have an Acer 22" Widescreen LCD and I have the latest drivers installed for the video card (7-10's) and it is connected via DVI.

The problem I have is that when I am browsing the web or at random times, the screen will go black, and come back, it will keep doing this for a while, if I move the webpage (scroll up and down) or am viewing an image, it keeps losing connection and keeps flashing black and then back to normal. Most of the time the flashes are 2 seconds long, then back on for 2, off again, then it will sit normal for 2 min, and do it again when I scroll...Sometimes it will go black for 5 seconds with the "mode not supported" message but come back to the screen...I dont see what it can be!

This only happens when using native resolution 1680x1050 @ 60hz, which is the only thing that looks good on this monitor.

Anyone?

I tried both with refresh rate override disabled and enabled, i tried lots of stuff..nothing works except running a non-native resolution which looks really bad on this monitor. :(

You don't have the problem at lower resolutions at all? Do you have another display you can test it with at 1680x1050? I'm inclined to think it's maybe an issue with your monitor. I'll assume you have it connected with the DVI cable - can you try it at that resolution with a VGA, or vice-versa?

It doesnt happen at any other resolution. I gotta find a VGA cable somewhere to test that out.

Ok, tried VGA @ 1680x1050 and still does it. I returned the video card and got a brand new one and it does the same thing...Also does this on my 32" HDTV @ 1680x1050!!! (only 720p TV but screen doesnt fit box but i can still scroll.) This is killing me.

Ok so you've ruled out either of the displays (LCD's) as the issue because it's happened with both monitors. What I would fdo if I were you is try any other video card. In fact if the VAIO has onboard VGA (most VAIO's do) try it .More than likely it will be analog only but that doesn't matter. If it happens again with onboard video then you have your answer -- it would be the X1650 pro that would be your issue and you can at least know where to start. It might be that you need to update the chipset drivers of the VAIO then reinstall the right ATI driver for the X1650 pro to work right with the LCD.

Ok, I just installed Vista thinking the problem was with XP or maybe some old drivers but even after a fresh install it still does it at 1680x1050...This video card is going bye bye tomorrow morning, Im returning it for a 7900GS for only $30 bucks more.

Ok, got a sweet deal on a 7900GS from BB ($73 OTD) and the readon is gone, no more problem, thanks anyway.

It looks great. This isnt the best video card ive had on this thing though. I just recently sold my Conroe rig with an 8800GTS 320 in it and im using a sony vaio my aunt gave me as a backup machine untill i rebuild in Jan08. It had an open PCI-E slot so I decided to just throw in a video card. But it all looks great now. :)

It looks great. This isnt the best video card ive had on this thing though. I just recently sold my Conroe rig with an 8800GTS 320 in it and im using a sony vaio my aunt gave me as a backup machine untill i rebuild in Jan08. It had an open PCI-E slot so I decided to just throw in a video card. But it all looks great now. :)

Yea the machine in my sig is was my spare rig now the main rig until I build again I sold my e6600 rig. Glad it's all looking good now :cool:

Back