Problem when accessing folder on second hard drive.

Noah

Limp Gawd
Here's the story: I have 2 hard drives on my computer. One was never used (the other has XP installed with all my programs/files), and my computer was getting buggy, so I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows XP on the empty drive. Everything went dandy, installed some software and all. I booted to my first HD and first copy of Windows so I could copy my files to the new hard drive, but it seems that my old copy is corrupt.

So I go back to my normal installation and tried to access my My Documents folder from my new install. It tells me that access is denied. I know my old account was password protected. What do I do to get my files?

if the old files were not encrypted all you have to do is go to the folder and right click on it, go to properties and go to the security tab, hit the advanced button form there and go to the owner tab on the new window, from there you can take ownership of the folder and access it.

If you are running xp home I'm told you can get the security tab by starting in safe mode.

Back