• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem w/Corsair 620w

JetsDuck

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
16
Having a problem with my Corsair PSU when I turn my computer on initially. PSU makes a clicking noise, like a projector somewhat - no smell. Going through some forums I've seen other people w/the same problem. The weird thing about it is that when I press the power cord in the back more the clicking gets noisier, and when I tilt it up just a little bit it gets a LOT quieter. I'm guessing theres nothing wrong w/the PSU itself, but something inside must just be clipping. I'd rather not RMA it if I don't have to, but I haven't opened it up or anything just in case.

Any suggestions? :(
 
fan maybe? check if any glue/TIM is clipping the fan. could be something is not secure well enough (maybe same as buzzing from house lights where wire isnt fastened tightly)
 
Didn't see anything physically clipping the fan, but when I hold the fan and boot up its silent, so I think it must be hitting up against something. Just not sure what.
 
I have/had the same problem with my hx520. The fan must be really close to some internal component, as depending on how you "flex" the case you get that clicking noise. I ended up solving this by loosening some of the mounting screws and tightening others.

Regards,
James
 
I have/had the same problem with my hx520. The fan must be really close to some internal component, as depending on how you "flex" the case you get that clicking noise. I ended up solving this by loosening some of the mounting screws and tightening others.

Regards,
James

Thanks James - the guys at Corsair told me to fiddle w/the fan screws too. Loosening them up just a little made it better but not completely, and then loosening them up more made it much worse. :D

I finally ended up tightening them and the clipping went away! Which is good because I really didn't feel like RMA'ing this. It really does seem like a very common problem with this PSU, though.
 
Thanks James - the guys at Corsair told me to fiddle w/the fan screws too. Loosening them up just a little made it better but not completely, and then loosening them up more made it much worse. :D

I finally ended up tightening them and the clipping went away! Which is good because I really didn't feel like RMA'ing this. It really does seem like a very common problem with this PSU, though.

It's really not a common problem with our PSU to be honest, it just so happens that we're selling quite a few of them and those that we sell are mostly to guys who post on forums. So if we sell 10,000 units and 100 of them have the problem, chances are pretty good that 25-30 of the guys who own that 100 have forums accounts somewhere and will ask/talk about it there.
 
Back
Top