As the title suggests, I'm having trouble toggling on or off my extended desktop upon rebooting. The full description is like this:
I've got 2 monitors, 1 24" LCD monitor and 1 32" LCD TV.
ATI 4870
latest version 9.7 drivers/CCC installed
Setup extended desktop as 24" monitor identified as number 1 and primary, and 32" TV identified as number 2 and secondary.
After installing, everythign is fine. After rebooting, I can see the same booting info pop up on both screens, so that's fine too. But once I get into the OS (vista 32x) log in screen, the 32" TV gets no more signals, i.e. only the primary is on and there's no extended desktop on secondary.
I can't toggle the extended desktop back on by using CCC OR the windows desktop properties menu. The only way to turn it on is to change the resolution on my primary (the 24" monitor), which will make the screen flicker etc, and while the monitor is flickering the actual screen will be displayed on the secondary. After the flickering is complete on the primary, the secondary will turn back off and the screen will go back to the primary. At this point, I can proceed to toggle the extended desktop on/off as I please until the next reboot. What this means is that by changing the resolution on my primary monitor, I've somehow "enabled" the ability to toggle on/off extended desktop.
I've also tried doing it a different way. If I setup 24" monitor identified as number 2, but primary, and 32" TV identified as number 1 but secondary, I can start the OS with extended desktop activated. So basically if I force the system to recognise my primary identified as number 2, then it will force recognition of identifier number 1 (my 32" TV). However, I still can't toggle extended desktop off unless I go through that changing primary resolution thing again.
The reason I want to turn it off occassionally is I'm assuming it uses up some system resources to have them both on. Sometimes I'm running a pretty intensive game and would need all the resources I can get, hence need to turn it off. I dont' want to have to go throuhg the changing primary resolution thing every single time.
I've also installed Ultramon for hotkeying toggling on/off extended desktop as well as mouse monitor locking, but I was seeing this problem before installing that so that must not be it.
Anybody got any ideas? Is this a known issue with the ATI card?
Thanks in advance fellas.
I've got 2 monitors, 1 24" LCD monitor and 1 32" LCD TV.
ATI 4870
latest version 9.7 drivers/CCC installed
Setup extended desktop as 24" monitor identified as number 1 and primary, and 32" TV identified as number 2 and secondary.
After installing, everythign is fine. After rebooting, I can see the same booting info pop up on both screens, so that's fine too. But once I get into the OS (vista 32x) log in screen, the 32" TV gets no more signals, i.e. only the primary is on and there's no extended desktop on secondary.
I can't toggle the extended desktop back on by using CCC OR the windows desktop properties menu. The only way to turn it on is to change the resolution on my primary (the 24" monitor), which will make the screen flicker etc, and while the monitor is flickering the actual screen will be displayed on the secondary. After the flickering is complete on the primary, the secondary will turn back off and the screen will go back to the primary. At this point, I can proceed to toggle the extended desktop on/off as I please until the next reboot. What this means is that by changing the resolution on my primary monitor, I've somehow "enabled" the ability to toggle on/off extended desktop.
I've also tried doing it a different way. If I setup 24" monitor identified as number 2, but primary, and 32" TV identified as number 1 but secondary, I can start the OS with extended desktop activated. So basically if I force the system to recognise my primary identified as number 2, then it will force recognition of identifier number 1 (my 32" TV). However, I still can't toggle extended desktop off unless I go through that changing primary resolution thing again.
The reason I want to turn it off occassionally is I'm assuming it uses up some system resources to have them both on. Sometimes I'm running a pretty intensive game and would need all the resources I can get, hence need to turn it off. I dont' want to have to go throuhg the changing primary resolution thing every single time.
I've also installed Ultramon for hotkeying toggling on/off extended desktop as well as mouse monitor locking, but I was seeing this problem before installing that so that must not be it.
Anybody got any ideas? Is this a known issue with the ATI card?
Thanks in advance fellas.
Last edited: