Problem : Motherboard Z390 does not start with Riser - Help

Oraklos

n00b
I am stuck in the RIG construction.
When I plug the GPU directly on motherboard, the system boot perfectly.
When I use a riser, the system does not boot (i can't even access to the bios). The fans of the GPU are correctly working.
I can access to the bios but juste after bios, the boot is frozen, i do not even have ubuntu starting

I spend time checking every seting in the bios but do not find anything obvious.

MB : MPG Z390
riser : https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81A0nbQZyuL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
GPU : RTX 3070

I try to change the GPU and change the riser (all the components) without success.

If you have any idea on how I can use the 4 PCIe slots on the MB, I am stuck :-/

I just command other Riser (another type) but 3 weeks delivery.

On a new riser, everything works well except : the GPU is not recognized and the GPU fan does not even start

Last edited:

Nasgul

Weaksauce
That's nVidia's new code for the new cards, the moments it's plug into one of those risers, the card activates a prevention chip that will not boot up if it senses that's gonna be mined.

Kinda like what VW did when the onboard computer sensed that the card was going to be tested for inspection.

Oraklos

n00b
Thanks Nasgul for your feedback.
I try with both Ventus 2x and Ventus 3x from MSI - RTX 3070
I bought them one month and two months ago

One of my friend has the same card and use a riser. So, I bet you explanation is not correct. I just saw that Nvidia intend to create a card "not interesting from mining" for the gamer but hard setting parameters. But I can't imagine Nvidia blocking fully like this.

Oraklos

n00b
Hi there,
I can give the "solution".
The risers I have seem to be really instable. After plenty of different tries, I get the GPU starting on Riser with the PCIe x16 port.

So, no config problem or else... Just bad hardware quality I think.