• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Problem: loud noise when turning on amp

doodada

n00b
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
55
So I just got this amp. Whenever I turn it on, it makes a really loud popping noise. Is there anyway I can make this go away?
 
Every good amp/receiver I've owned has some sort of clicking noise on startup,

What amp is this?
 
It's the Lepai t-amp I got off ebay. I havn't done any test on it since I got home late today. I just got the thing plugged in and it makes the loud popping noise everytime I turn it on. Looks like I will probably have to always leave it on.
 
Every good amp/receiver I've owned has some sort of clicking noise on startup,

What amp is this?

called a protection relay, its designed to prevent the DC spike from touching your speakers, which makes them thump


It's the Lepai t-amp I got off ebay. I havn't done any test on it since I got home late today. I just got the thing plugged in and it makes the loud popping noise everytime I turn it on. Looks like I will probably have to always leave it on.

this amp is almost guranteed to not have a relay, which means when it powers on, as everything is "warming up" (yes, thats my highly technical description of whats happening), your speakers get hit with that thump

generally it won't damage them, but it is somewhat obnoxious (you can blow things up if you have a source playing + volume isn't set to -Inf (where it should be every time you power down btw :)))

if its one of those uncased amps, where its just the raw board, you could probably add a relay if you felt so inclined
 
Back
Top