Problem installing X-Fi on new Vista machine

gchanjam

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2006
Messages
157
I just built a new PC with Vista and so far everything is great except that I can't get the drivers for my X-fi XtremeAudio(moved over from my last PC where it worked great) to install. Everytime I try to install them, it says that it can't find a supported device. However, in my device manager, there is an unknown multimedia audio device installed in the PCI slot. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fix this?
 
Was your old system also running Vista? You need the Vista specific drivers.
 
My old system was running XP and it worked fine. On my new rig, I downloaded the Vista 32.-bit drivers from Creative and during the install process, it fails to find supported hardware.
 
Actually that as been a common issue since the SB Live! days if I remember. Driver not seeing the hardware properly. I am unsure how to correct the issue though.
 
Well, usually Creative requires CD installed drivers in order to install Vista drivers. I have no idea how this is supposed to work in Vista.
 
No cd needed.

Try a expansion different slot. Also, if you're using a PCI network adaptor of any kind, wired or wireless, you may have to remove it to get the driver to recognize the X-fi, I had both a pro/1000GT Intel card and a DLink wireless card and had to remove both and disable the onboard LAN to get mine to work.

I don't know but other PCI cards might also interfere. Don't ask me why, but it seems Vista puts certain cards first in the detect order so this juggling is neccessary to get hte soundcard to be the first one Vista sees.
 
So, are the vista drivers for x-fi any good yet? I haven't yet installed them, still using on-board sound.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
 
i just got my x-fi...first time sb owner and i downloaded the vista drivers that were compatible with vista x64 and it works for me...nothing unordinary..dont know why yours isnt working
 
There are 2 Vista drivers.
One for Xtreme Audio card:
XFXA_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0065A.exe
and one for Xtreme Music card
SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_13_0012.exe
Make sure you picked the correct one.
 
You beat me to it. TheX-audio is different from the other X-fi cards as it contains NO 20KX DSP processor commonly refered to as the X-fi processor. If you get the correct driver you should be ok.
 
Back
Top