• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem installing WD raptor sata hard drive

kalpha

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
164
My current setup is an Asus p4c800-e deluxe motherboard with three ide hard drives and one dvd-rom drive. Two harddrives are on the primary ide, and the third HD as the secondary master. The dvd-rom drive is a slave on the secondary ide. I currently have windows xp pro sp2 installed on the hd that is primary master.

I'm trying to add the raptor hd into my setup. I plan to install another operating system on this hd, but that doesn't matter for now. I hooked up the raptor with a sata data cable from the Sata 1 port on the motherboard to the hd. I used a molex power connect from the psu to the raptor. I booted into bios and the raptor is recognized as the third ide master.

WHen i load into windows, the hardware window pops up saying it recognizes some new devices, primary ide and secondary ide. it doesn't find any drivers for these devices and says there was problems installing these devices and thus they might not work. WHen i go to My computer, I don't see the raptor HD.

In Device Manager, I see two new items under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Those two items are IDE channel and IDE channel. These two have a yellow exclamation mark next to them which means "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" The other devices under this are:

Intel(r) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Intel(r) 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Do you guys know where I can find these missing drivers? Or is there another way to solve this problem?
 
I would investigate

A) Updated chipset INF files from Intel's support website for the 875P/ICH5R
B) A BIOS Update for your mobo
C) Clearing the CMOS and manually setting the BIOS to SATA enhanced mode, and SATA mode to IDE.

Post back if none of these suggestions help to resolve your issue.
 
DougLite, thank you for replying. I tried updating with the newest intel chipset inf files for 875p from here http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=N&ProductID=816&DwnldID=8178.

I then rebooted but the same thing occurs. On windows startup, the Hardware wizard pops up and says no drivers were found for the hardware (primary ide and secondary ide).


I have the latest version of BIOS so i skipped your second suggestion.

I cleared the CMOS and then set to sata enhanced mode with no raid (thus it's ide). Under Advanced tab, there is an item called

OnBoard Promise Controller [Enabled/Disabled]
Operating Mode [IDE]

I left that controller on enabled. THe only operating mode available was IDE probably because I had earlier set sata to ide under the Main tab.

Under the Boot tab, i change the boot device priority to my primary master hard drive(maxtor 250gb ide) and 2nd boot device to my dvd-rom drive. I exit and save changes. BIos screen boot up, then a black screen with SATA32 Controller blah blah appears and says "No device found..."

"Bios is not installed"

Then my windows boots up. The windows xp startup screen appears (the one with the blue bar moving horizontally) AFter that screen, the computer locks up or something. A black screen appears and doens't change. I try pressing alt+cltr+del a few times and nothing happens. I try pressing the computer case power button to see if that'll shut down windows, assuming windows has been loaded. Nada nothing.

So i just hit the restart and then the same thing happens again. I hit restart again and finally windows starts up correctly. The hardware wizard pops up again and same thing happens. It can't find the drives for primary ide and secondary ide. Same items appear in the Device Manager.

The SATA32 Controller blah blah black screen with "No devices found... and Bios is not installed" doesn't appear if i disable the OnBoard Promise COntroller. Nothing else seems to change when setting the onboard promise controller to disabled.

I've never installed a sata hard drive before so i'm stumped. I tried going into disk management. (Run > diskmgmt.msc) and I see the raptor hard drive along with my other hard drives and dvd-rom drive. The raptor is "unallocated" and it's shown to have 69.24 gb (the raptor is a 74 gb hd). I right click it and select "New Partition" and make it a primary partition with the label of K: This makes the hd appear under "MY Computer."

Also, i should note that i run a hard drive temperature monitor program and it's been detecting the raptor's temp the whole time (even before I created the "new partition."

Still, whenever i reboot, the stupid hardware wizard appears and it can't find the drivers for the two ide's.

Ignoring the hardware wizard, my is raptor sata hd properly installed now and have the full functionality it should?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advanced.
 
You definitely need to leave the Promise controller disabled. Asus really liked that option on many of their mobos of that era, as it supplemented both the fairly meager 2 SATA ports of ICH5R, and gave users an extra PATA port. That option does not affect the ICH5R SATA, which you should leave enabled, and you should use those ports first, as they are not on the PCI bus.

If Windows sees the drive, I would not worry about this issue until your next reinstall. A hard drive is no replacement for backups anyway. There should be an option after you let the hardware wizard run and fail to not prompt to install software for that hardware again, and if it works, I'd leave well enough alone.
 
There doesn't seem to be an option(like there is for every other hardware device detection) to stop the hardware wizard from prompting on every windows startup.

I found two others who are experiencing hte exact same problems that I am when trying to install a sata hard drive here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=40406

Still no solution found, yet.
 
rage4order said:
did you install the SATA drivers using F6 in the Windows recovery console?

Hi, which drivers exactly? The motherboard didn't come with any floppy disk. I didn't notice any sata drivers options on the motherboard drivers cd-rom.
 
Your hard drive should've come with a disk. You will need to create a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it. Then, you'll need to run windows setup. when you get into the windows setup page, it will ask you to hit "F6" if you have any third party drivers you need to install. I'll try to do a search to give you more detailed instructions.
In the meantime, this explains what I'm trying to say:
Problem:
An EIDE, SCSI, or Serial ATA (SATA) drive is not recognized during the installation of Windows NT/2000/XP. The installer reports that there is no drive present for the Windows installation, even though the controller recognizes the drive.

Cause:
The drive may not be detected during the installation of Windows because you have not yet loaded the drivers for your EIDE, SCSI, or SATA controller.

Resolution:
During the initial installation of Windows, you will need to press F6 almost immediately when "Setup is inspecting your hardware..." appears on the screen. You will then be asked to provide any mass storage controller drivers you may have. At this point, use the drivers supplied by your controller manufacturer. After performing the steps above, the drive will be recognized and the install should continue without problems.

Note: In many cases, specialized ATA or RAID ports, SCSI ports, and SATA ports integrated directly into the motherboard must have their drivers installed as shown above.
 
THank you guys! I'm happy to report I've fixed the problem. I've been goggling the past two days and finally found a solution. This is weird, but I can't seem to find the forum link that I found through google anymore, but it doesn't matter since I've found the solution.

It seems that programs such as Daemon tools or alcohol 120% (programs which create virtual dvd/cd drives) cause some kind of conflict with windows finding the drivers for the sata ide channels. I read in a forum link somewhere, where the person unisntalled Daemon tools, then rebooted and windows found the drivers for the sata ide channels. I had a Alcohol installed, so I tried uninstalling that and then rebooting. On this startup, windows actually found the drivers for the new ide channels!!! :)
 
Back
Top