Problem installing w2k service pack, wuaucpl.cpl error!

bluehorizon

Weaksauce
Getting an error saying wuaucpl.cpl is running when installing service pack 4 on w2k (it's actually every service pack we try to install). I can't find the program in the task list. Tried closing all of the processes I could with no success. Nothing related to wuaucpl in the reg startup. I know the file is somehow related to the control panel and/or windows update. No mention of windows update in the services list however.

I also booted with a PE CD and tried to rename the file; got an access denied message.

How can I get around this?

Did you run a chkdsk before updating?
Try temporarily turning off automatic updates in the control panel, or disabling it in services, reboot and try again.

Thanks for the reply. Automatic updates is not listed is Services nor in the control panel... I believe service pack 3 adds auto updates to the list of services, but we're stuck on service pack 2.

We downloaded the network installation from MS' website and are trying to install the SP from there. We can not use Windows Update from within the network...

Configuring AU through group policy or registry features these details for turning off AU in the registry. Assuming you didn't create a group policy for enabling AU.
Configuring Automatic Updates by editing the registry
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

In a non-Active Directory environment, you can edit registry settings to configure Automatic Updates.

Note You must manually create these registry keys.

You can use either of the following methods to set these registry keys:
• Manually edit the registry by using Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
• Centrally deploy these registry keys by using the Windows NT 4.0-style System Policy functionality.
To use Registry Editor, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, and then type regedit in the Open box.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
3. Add any one of the following settings:
• Value name: NoAutoUpdate
Value data: 0 or 1
• 0: Automatic Updates is enabled (default).
• 1: Automatic Updates is disabled.
Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD
• Value name: AUOptions
Value data: 1 to 4
• 1: Keep my computer up to date has been disabled in Automatic Updates.
• 2: Notify of download and installation.
• 3: Automatically download and notify of installation.
• 4: Automatically download and scheduled installation.
• Value name: ScheduledInstallDay
Value data: 0 to 7
• 0: Every day.
• 1 through 7: The days of the week from Sunday (1) to Saturday (7).
• Value name: ScheduledInstallTime
Value data: n, where n equals the time of day in a 24-hour format (0-23).
• Value name: UseWUServer
Value data: Set this value to 1 to configure Automatic Updates to use a server that is running Software Update Services instead of Windows Update.
• Value name: RescheduleWaitTime
Value data: m, where m equals the time to wait between the time Automatic Updates starts and the time it begins installations where the scheduled times have passed. The time is set in minutes from 1 to 60, representing 1 minute to 60 minutes)

Note This setting only affects client behavior after the clients have updated to the SUS SP1 client version or later.
• Value name: NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
Value data: Reg_DWORD: 0 (false) or 1 (true). If set to 1, Automatic Updates does not automatically restart a computer while users are logged on.

Back