Problem Installing Vista Ultimate

n4soccer06

n00b
I am trying to install Vista Ultimate on my computer. After getting into the installation process. Vista does its thing and starting installing everything. Its all fine till it reboots for the first time. After rebooting in DOS it asks if I want to run a CD or DVD (press any key now). Knowing I don't want that, I wait for that to pass. But it ever does, it freezes on the fifth dot. I am not sure if I have done something wrong or what. I tried playing with the boot sequence if I put harddrive 1st I get the missing hardware error in DOS. The only thing left that I would try is to delete all the partitions on my primary hardrive. Right now I have 3 partitions on a 160GB seagate, 20 is for the OS, 60 is for software, and the other is just free. I have a ASUS P5N32-E SLI Motherboard, not sure if that helps to know but just throwing that out there. Any fixes or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I didn't have issues with installing Ultimate, though when I mixed a 512 stick of memory with 2x 1g sticks, I did have similar problems. If you have mixed memory, take out the oddball, if not, try running memtest.

Make sure your hard drive is okay with some simple diags from the maker's site. You can also try running Memtest, to be sure. I doubt its related to partitioning, but you really aren't doing anything positive for yourself by splitting the OS and software. If you do reformat, create a 50 GB or so partition for the OS, apps, and games, then leave the second part to be formatted later as a data drive.

Back