Problem installing PVR-500 MCE card...

ND40oz

[H]F Junkie
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a hauppauge card. I have the PVR-500 MCE and I'm trying to install it on my Shuttle SB75S with a 3 gig prescott, BBA X800XL with Windows MCE 2k5. When I put the card in the free PCI slot and rebooted my system, it detected the card and tried to install a Multimedia Video Controller.

When it tries to install the 1st multimedia video controller it fails. Doesn't matter if I point it to the folder where I downloaded the 2.7a drivers or tell it to go look for them, it just says they can't be found.

It then tries to install the 2nd multimedia video controller which is detects as a PVR-500. I point it to the drivers and off it goes. It looks like it's about to finish but hits the HCWECP.AX file and just hangs the whole computer. I have to hard cycle the power to get it to unfreeze and reboot.

I've run the hauppauge utility that cleans the drivers, it does the same thing when I reboot and try to reinstall. I am doing something wrong, do I have to do something prior to installing the drivers? Do I just have a bum card and I need to RMA it?

Thanks

Maybe an IRQ conflict? Can you try installing it in another PC? Where did you buy it from?

We tried it in another mce pc as well, same problem. So it's either the hardware is bad or we're doing something wrong when installing it in a MCE 2k5 system. I have an xp 64 bit system here, I'll try it in that next, if I can find drivers for it.

Don't bother, there are none (64-bit Win sucks BTW ;) ).

Well it sounds like you should RMA it. Who did you buy it from?

Is that Shuttle box using a VIA chipset? Cause I have heard that the PVR-500 does not play well with some VIA chipsets

Is the card in the top PCI slot used on your system? I know some peopel report that it will only install in the top PCI slot or a certain one on their boards.

Mine installed fine in the #2 PCI slot with nothing but an AGP card above it.

Back