problem insalling xp home

Krutch

n00b
I just bought a WD hard drive to replace one that died. The problem is when i put the xp home disk to setup, after it asks to press F6 for other drivers the setup just hangs. I know that the disk works cause i tried it on another hard drive and it setup fine.

any ideas??

Are you sure you need to hit F6? That's not very common anymore.

no i don't have to hit f6. it just stops after it asks. it won't start loading the setup files. it just sits there with the blue windows setup screen.

Make sure you have the drive jumpered correctly (if IDE) and that the cables are plugged in securely. If so, you might want to get WD's drive diag test and check the drive out.

i did run this data lifeguard tools cd that came with the drive. It went threw and formatted and said it was ready to use and to put the xp disk in to install.

Get a utility...or use the same WD drive and unformat the drive...you want to start XP's setup with a blank drive...and see how that goes. I've encountered quite a few problems with a pre-formatted drive. Also make sure you aren't loading anything from the WD CD, like a drive overlay. Those aren't needed anymore.

i got it. believe it or not i changed the ide cable and everything was fine. Thanks for the help.

Back