problem: fps cap and mouselag with DX8 games in Vista despite Vsync = off

Preacher0815

Weaksauce
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem that's practically preventing me from migrating to Vista, which I otherwise like pretty well.

I still mostly play this DX8 game called Freelancer, however in Vista FPS are capped at the refresh rate of the screen, no matter what I do about it. Tried turning Vsync off, to no avail. Tried disabling triple buffer, doesn't work either. It's always capped at the screen's refresh rate. With that alone I could live, but...

Mouselag in Freelancer under Vista is horrible. It takes an eternity for the system to draw the movement of the mouse while inside the game. Eternity is relatively spoken, but it's sure as hell very well noticeable, making it difficult to hit NPCs and impossible to hit other players.

I don't have this capping and lag issues with DX9 games thou, so I assume MS messe with the DX8 support somewhere. Is there any way to fix / circumvent this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware:
Doesn't matter, it happens on AMD systems as well as Intels, Ati as well as Nvidia, 2GB RAM as well as 4GB, Notebooks as well as desktops, flat panels as well as CRTs.

Your monitor can't show more Frames per Second than the Refresh Rate, so XP and other operating systems who claimed to be showing more were lying anyway.

The game is probably incompatible with Vista because of a game bug, that XP is more lenient about. Try run as admin and run in XP SP2 compatibility though.

Back