• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Problem formatting a usb drive

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
2,576
I have some usb drives that where in Linux machines. They’re all 64 gig. In windows one shows 5 meg after formatting it. Another one shows 250 meg after formatting it to. I did a CHKDSK and nothing. How can I get the space back? I only have a windows machine.

Thank you
 
I’m pretty dumb to a lot of this. MrGuvernment your list there. Whitch order to go by?
 
1689369418196.png

they are 64gb right? are you needing more than 4 partitions? as i said earlier, just do the clean and then use disk manager.
 
Well one thumb drive got 58.4 gig out of 64 it is rated for. The other thumb windows does not see at all. So how do you make a thumb drive that cannot be seen. Seen?
Ok... The link at the top is what you need. Follow it but don't delete your main OS drive.

You press

- Windows key + R
- Type CMD
- In the black window that opens type dispart


Then follow directions online. Without us knowing your partition numbers or volumes, we would be dangerous guessing.
 
I already did that. On the 58.4 gig drive. The other drive windows does not see.

Ok... The link at the top is what you need. Follow it but don't delete your main OS drive.

You press

- Windows key + R
- Type CMD
- In the black window that opens type dispart


Then follow directions online. Without us knowing your partition numbers or volumes, we would be dangerous guessing.
 
I already did that. On the 58.4 gig drive. The other drive windows does not see.
If windows doesn't see it, I would just boot with a usb livecd into linux and deal with it right there and format it as fat32.
 
I was wrong. The drive that I said was not seen. Is but when I insert this. The system tells me to insert the other drive, that is fixed.

If windows doesn't see it, I would just boot with a usb livecd into linux and deal with it right there and format it as fat32.
 
I know nothing of Linux. The thumb drive came out of a mining rig that Linux was used. I end up buying a couple drives.
You don't have to know anything--download the ultimate boot cd and boot it--parted magic live cd is on there and you can select that and then have access to the formatting tools there and all sorts of drive diagnostic stuff I've not even messed with yet.
 
Back
Top