Problem: DL/UL Speeds with Different Computers - Same Network

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just running some bandwidth tests on my two main computers. I'm using DSL Reports tests and CNET's tests. My main system with GigE is only getting about 1500/250 and my test machine with 10/100 is getting 2800/250. I really dont understand at all.

I'm on Adelphia Cable with 3000/384. I have a Linksys router and a Linksys 8 + 1 Switch. 8 (10/100 ports) and 1 Gig port. I have my main system with GigE NIC hooked in to the GigE port on the switch. My whole house is wired with CAT5e.

I just did everything imaginable to make my system faster. Defrag, Deleting stuff, Spybot, Anti-Virus, . . .etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

do there tweak test, and do what it recomends. you can get DRTCP from there site also to help with the changes it suggests. on dsl reports site

I find those test wholely inaccurate, just download a fairly large file and see what speed it levels out at ...

I was having the exact same problem a few days ago (or at least that's when I noticed it, it must have been going on for months)

My problem was solved by ditching Zone Alarm (V.5). It was choking my download speed almost in half! Disabling ZA wasn't enough, I had to actually do a clean uninstall of it to rid myself of the problem.
Are you running any 3rd party firewall on the slow D/L'ing computers? If so, try using the firewall that comes in SP2 (if you're using XP).

[edit]
Check out my second to last post in this thread. That's the difference no ZA made for me.
[/edit]

Tink said:
do there tweak test, and do what it recomends. you can get DRTCP from there site also to help with the changes it suggests. on dsl reports site
Okay just tried it. It says 100% Efficient. All little smilie faces next to everything.

CompuDrew: I do have ZoneAlarm on my computer. I dont run it though. Uninstalling it will help?

Well, I can't guarantee it will work for you, but since you don't use it anyway, it's definitly worth a shot.
Check out the instructions here on how to do a clean uninstall.

I dont think it will change anything but I might as well remove it anyways.

I did what the link said and added and "/clean" in the properties of the uninstall.

We'll see what happens. I'll report back.

Thank you to CompuDrew. It's working better but not as good as my other system. And even my AIM is running faster.

Well I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and that Stupid True Vector program. VSMON. It always started up but I would end it.

Now I'm getting around 2500/250. This is my better system too. So I still dont know why the other system gets 2800/250.

Any more thoughts?

These tests are inaccurate, see what the download speed is on each *echo*

Back