Problem connecting to internet...

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
4,403
I just built a computer (in my sig). I loaded XP and tried to connect to the internet. I'm using an old modem from an emachines that was just working a couple weeks ago. I get an error that reads...

Error 692: There was a hardware device failure in the modem [or other connecting device]

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?

thanks
 
Find out the model of modem then download the most updated drivers for it. Test

Try putting it into a different pci slot. Test

A few more ideas i can't think of

Drop it off a 10 story building (kidding, you better not try it !)

Honestly, a $5 dollar modem is not worth the headache. If a few simple ideas doesn't fix it, then just get a new one off pricewatch, ebay or newegg.
 
<--- suggests a $10 modem as well.

Anythign with the word emachine on it is possessed by the devil. End of story.
 
lol. I have to agree with ya there, emachines really do suck. :)

I'll try some of these ideas. And don't worry I won't drop it off a 10 story building. :)

thanks
 
Went to the Microsoft Knowledge base and put in your error. What a mees of shit that came back. Here, have fun-

http://support.microsoft.com/search...&maxResults=150&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

The modem may not be supported by XP if it's old enough. XP may not have a driver in the cab files compatible with it. Does the modem show in POST or device manager? I saw some incompatible software like Compuserve's that would generate this error in the link above. Good Luck.:D
 
I got it working (im writing this on my new machine). All I did was after I got WinXP installed, I just moved the modem to another pci slot. Easy!

Thanks for the help though! :)
 
Back
Top