Problem booting up with a new P8P67 (B3), 1Long beep + 3 short ones.

Amorgos

n00b
Hi,

I did a build last week which was built around a P8P67 the following spec:

P8P67
Mushkin 8GB Silverline RAM
Intel i7 2600K
Gigabyte Radeon HD 5750 Silent Cell.

I have experienced a number of issues since building (but at least it worked) but last night it stopped to work alrogether!..

Whilst I was playing a game (Portal 2) the system just shutdown instantly, and after that I couldn't boot it up at all. Nothing shows on the screen at all and I was getting 1 long beep + 3 short ones. Pressing MEM OK! didn't make any difference and neither did swapping the dims around and leaving just one in (tried multiple sockets)

The Mushkin ram I have purchased is not listed in the motherboard recomended ram which I didn't know about when purchasing, but I'm surprised it has worked for a good 4 or 5 days, then this happens!

Other problems:
- Overclocking Failed! message every now and then but not often.
- Boots up and cuts off, then boots up again.. Consistently fails to POST first time around.

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Amorgos

I have heard of these issues a fair bit lately from reading around. Always seems to be with the system running fine for a while, then during a game/intensive load it just shuts off and never does come back. I hope it is something you can figure out, possibly your PSU.

Back in the old days, three short beeps meant a RAM problem. Not sure if those codes still apply now though.

Be Quiet! 430W PSU. I did not overclock the CPU (unless I did accidentally!!)

Ok, if you can't get it to POST at all now, send in for an RMA. If you can get it to POST, shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can to help..

-Raja

RMA what to where?.. Motherboard or other component? the company that sold it to me (Aria), or Asus?

After looking at ...

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo....1)&s=39&hashedid=Ue9kv5818lbAQur6&os=&no=978

..It seems to be that it could well be the Graphics card but not 100% sure as I have no spare PSU or Graphics card (or another PC) to try out with. Could it have overheated during the game? Maybe the 430W PSU did not give it enough power so it couldn't survive? It is a Gigabyte 5750 silent cell graphics card, meaning that it does have power to it but no fan just a very large heatsink..

What would you suggest I do?

Ok. I managed to find an old 400W PSU in the atic which I know worked last time I tried it. It did exactly the same with that PSU as well.

Is 430W enough to power a PC with this mobo, GPU, 1 SSD drive, 1 DVD do you think?

Um, back in the day, one long beep and three short beeps was "VGA not found/display adapter error," but the computer would still boot normally (although it might not succeed in loading windows; it could still boot to a flash drive this way).

Um, back in the day, one long beep and three short beeps was "VGA not found/display adapter error," but the computer would still boot normally (although it might not succeed in loading windows; it could still boot to a flash drive this way).

For AMI (and maybe AWARD, but not sure about them) three beeps was memory (with the one long probably being the POST beep) - I think IBM used 1+3 for graphics, but that would have really been back in the day.

1 long beep + 3 short ones =vga not detected
if i remember right
thats what i get on my Asus sabertooth p67 mobo
asus should have the same error peep code

according to P8P67 manual is like:

BIOS Beep Description

One short :

VGA detected
Quickboot set to disabled
Keyboard detected

One countinious beep
followed by two short
then pause (repeats):

No memory detected

One countinious beep
followed by three short:

No VGA detected

One countinious beep
followed by four short:

Hardware component failure

RMA what to where?.. Motherboard or other component? the company that sold it to me (Aria), or Asus?

After looking at ...

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo....1)&s=39&hashedid=Ue9kv5818lbAQur6&os=&no=978

..It seems to be that it could well be the Graphics card but not 100% sure as I have no spare PSU or Graphics card (or another PC) to try out with. Could it have overheated during the game? Maybe the 430W PSU did not give it enough power so it couldn't survive? It is a Gigabyte 5750 silent cell graphics card, meaning that it does have power to it but no fan just a very large heatsink..

What would you suggest I do?

Hi,

The initial instability could have been down to memory, but the fact that the board/GPU does not POST now hints that something deeper was not right. A CMOS clear should have bought it back if it was solely DRAM timing related.

If you cannot get the board to work with the components you have at hand and cannot try any spares to see where the issue lies, then you have no choice but to chance an RMA stating your issues and parts.

The details of the RMA procedure vary from country to country - I support the US region. I believe Aria is UK based? If so contact Aria and ask them what the returns policy is, they will then tell you whether or not you need to contact ASUS support UK or RMA directly to Aria.

-Raja

Back