Problem booting up WinXP in new system

RLich8

Limp Gawd
Ok, I'm having trouble booting up XP on the new system I built. I bought a new case, motherboard, videocard, ram, and fans. I used the HDD and DVD-RW drive from another machine I had.

I got everything all put together and everything, that went pretty good, didn't really have any problems putting it together or anything.

Now, when I boot up the machine, it tries booting Windows up, and it just comes to a screen that says there was an error starting windows, and I can choose safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, or use the last working configuration. I tried safe mode and safe mode with networking, neither worked.

Is there any way I can fix the installation of XP Pro that's currently on the HDD so that it will work with my new setup? I don't want to lose all my files that are on there (I'm sure you guys already know that)

Thank you very much in advance.

If i recall, you can use sysprep to fix the problem (which is your old drivers are conflicting with your new board), try using the repair option from the XP CD or install XP to a new partition, back up your data, reformat and reinstall windows.

You really need to do a clean install at some point anyways, theres just too many things that can go wrong trying to use a repaired install after a board swap.

Yeah, I just want to backup my old stuff onto a DVD-R and then I'll do a nice clean install of XP.

How would I go about doing this in the repair option?

Boot of the Windows XP cd, and act like you are doing a clean install.
Text mode will detect another version of windows on the hard disk and offer to repair it.

Summoner, have you found situations where repair install didn't work, but sysprep would have? I'm interested in hearing about these situations.

Ranma_Sao said:
Boot of the Windows XP cd, and act like you are doing a clean install.
Text mode will detect another version of windows on the hard disk and offer to repair it.

Summoner, have you found situations where repair install didn't work, but sysprep would have? I'm interested in hearing about these situations.

Ive not used sysprep, i always do a fresh install if i change major hardware. Im sure someone on the board here can give more info on it though :)

As stated above, just do a repair install. It will work, and you won't lose any files. Back everything up, and then follow up with a clean install.

I still laugh everytime I see a thread of people wanting to back up AFTER they've made all the changes to their systems. Never gets old. :p

what u guys should do is invest in buying a 2nd hdd and backup all ur files in there, or get a mates hdd and hook two both ur mates and his hdd 2gether (ur hdd being a slave) and then u can access your hdd and backup ur files :)

Back