Problem after formatting :(

cuemasterfl

Supreme [H]ardness
I hope one of you can help me. I have 2 hard drives in my system. The first hard drive I usually keep as one partition, and is drive C. The other hard drive I split into 2 partitions, D & E, and I use to keep files I download/need/will burn to CD.

I formatted drive C last night. Actually, I used the recovery CD, which I know only overwrites drive C, with XP Home.

Now, on drive D, I can only see 1 file. There were many more than that. Actually, earlier I couldn't see any, but for some reason, that one file shows up. I did run chkdsk on drives D & E earlier so maybe that's why.

When I try to access drive E, the large partition with my main stuff on it, I get:

Drive E is not formatted. Would you like to format?

Obviously I don't as I ruin any chance of recovering the files on there.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Is your computer a compaq one?

If i remember correctly compaq computers write all their software to c:\ partition and use next partition to hide some recovery files, in this case it used your d:\ deleting your stuff...i hope to be incorrect :(

OldMX

I vaguely remember having some kind of problem similar to that. I ended up going into disk management and right off the bat it ask to initialize the disk(or something to that fashion). Check disk management.

Back