Probably Stupid Stealthing Question

SeeDLeone

n00b
This is probably stupid, but how do you manually open your drives if they are shealthed? Do you take the cover off?

It took me a while to figure out the same thing. I'd seen about 400 different solutions to the problem including software, wiring in external buttons, and all kinds of other shit, and then I realized that I could stack tape up until it reached the button. This took me about a week to realize. You got it pretty fast.

A week?!?!?! Damn. You are slow. WHen I first heard of stealthing I immediatly thought of glueing a screw in there. THen later on came the rewireing. Before the rewiring I though of going into like WinDVD and doing it. But that would be a pain if you needed something in there that you had to open WInDVD everytime.

hehe...you all know that you can right click on the drive and select "eject", right?

When I first stealthed my drives 2 years ago, I just took the bay covers that came with my old case and taped them on with electrical tape.

Pressing the corner of the cover ejected the drive no problem.

you could take the clips off the inside cover part of a DVD case that holds the paper in... use that as an extender...

i saw a guide where someone did that... i think it was metku.net

§pix said:
A week?!?!?! Damn. You are slow. WHen I first heard of stealthing I immediatly thought of glueing a screw in there. THen later on came the rewireing. Before the rewiring I though of going into like WinDVD and doing it. But that would be a pain if you needed something in there that you had to open WInDVD everytime.

Ok, I guess I'll explain what I meant. I knew what had to happen, but everything I tried kept falling off or not working. I tried gluing all kinds of shit into the inside of the bay cover, but everything was either too long (this was actually pretty funny...the drive kept hitting its own button when it'd close and pop back open again), too short, or too small to make a good glue surface and fall off, and since I have a short attention span, after an hour or so I decided to forget about it and did other things. I finally decided to not be lazy and give it another shot later when I found some foam mounting tape in my art supplies.

It might have been a week, might have been a couple days, working 3rd shift destroys all concept of time. I swear I'm not as dumb as that post made me sound, I was in a hurry and didn't feel like typing all this shit out.

when i did it many moons ago for the first time, i used the thick 3m double sided tape to attach the al cover to my drive. i just put 2 pieces, one on top of the other right over the button. made the most sense and worked like a charm.

twyztyr said:
Ok, I guess I'll explain what I meant. I knew what had to happen, but everything I tried kept falling off or not working. I tried gluing all kinds of shit into the inside of the bay cover, but everything was either too long (this was actually pretty funny...the drive kept hitting its own button when it'd close and pop back open again), too short, or too small to make a good glue surface and fall off, and since I have a short attention span, after an hour or so I decided to forget about it and did other things. I finally decided to not be lazy and give it another shot later when I found some foam mounting tape in my art supplies.

It might have been a week, might have been a couple days, working 3rd shift destroys all concept of time. I swear I'm not as dumb as that post made me sound, I was in a hurry and didn't feel like typing all this shit out.

Ok yeah that does sound better. I also ran into a problem with having something stay there. I too gave up and just rewired the eject buttons to the bottom of my case. And I feel your pain on working 3rd shift.

JEEVES

I have a Chieftec Dragon, and the two optical drives I have a serious need to be stealthed. I get the whole process of sticking the bar covers to the drive trays, but seems how my drives are on rails, how do I get the drives to slide back further so the bay covers do not stick out, making the case look even worse, in my opinion? I tried moving the rails forward on the drives, but due to the placement of the screw holes/screws, it won't work. Should I just drill new holes in the rails or is there an easier answer? And if I have to drill holes in the rails, does anyone who has done this on this case with similar rails know how far from the original holes I need to drill?

Wow, that was awfully long-winded, but I think I got my point across pretty well.

I never liked the idea of manually opening my drives.... I used a piece of balsa wood and it worked great, I just didn't like it. I went the software route and found this nice little program that will let you assign hotkeys to open/close your drives. www.wineject.com

Back