Probably shouldn't have but.... 1100T

3one5

Gawd
I probably shouldn't have upgraded right now but went ahead and did so anyway. I've been running on an old single core AMD CPU, Gigabyte board and 4gb of ram. I sold my quad core about 6 months back and have been waiting to upgrade since then. About 5 months back I built a new machine at work with a 1100T and have been quite satisfied. After see the Bulldozer numbers and price I decided I would pick up a 1100T for home. Here is what I went with.

AMD 1100T
Asus Sabertooth
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3
64GB 830 Series Samsung SSD

I already have a ATI 6870HD that I picked up a couple months ago so I should be good there too. I've never bought the latest and greatest but toyed with it this time. I figure this will get me by until the next time I'm feeling squirrelly.

1100T is still a nice chip and as long as it does what you need then I say good upgrade.

BD was a big letdown and is not even close to being worth the current prices imho.

I have a sabertooth and an 1100T and CPU wise it's more then enough for any game. BF3 hovers at all six cores at 50% or so. I'm still having LOTS of eyefinity and crossfire issues but hey that's not the 1100T's fault, ;)

Yep, I say good for you as well.

Yes its not as fast as Sandy Bridge, but its still pretty damn fast and very powerful. Its also a very good overclocker and that Sabertooth motherboard is a monster board for overclocking so you could get that thing up to 4 GHz easily and have enough processing power for anything you throw at it.

Ive been debating what I should do for my future upgrading as well since my midrange motherboard is being overworked with this X6 and high overclock. Ive thought about getting a new motherboard and i5 but then I think why not just get a Sabertooth 990FX and keep my X6? Dont know if the i5 is $220 worth of better performance. And who knows, maybe AMD will get Bulldozer figured out and come out with some new AM3+ chips in the near future that perform a little better.

I would have done the same. The 1100t is just as good if not better IMO. Less money and less of a power whore than the Bullshit.

I waited to see how Bulldozer turned out. Hmmm, looks like it still needs some work so I bought four 1100T systems that I'm assembling into a Beowulf cluster. I have the main node up and running and it performs very well. It will crank 17k-18k ppd if I leave it alone. That isn't its main purpose but it does fold well.

I played the bang/buck spreadsheet game and the x6 processors came out very well.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm running a 1075t that I've had for almost a year. It's been a damn good CPU, and while not quite as fast as a Sandy Bridge, it's been plenty fast for me. My only gripe with it is was mounting the heatsink on it. It was a pain in the ass to get it proper mounting on it. It can run warm but it seems to take the high temps okay. Mine averages about 40-44C currently at the stock temps.

Back