probably not the right place for this...but...

Verclempt

n00b
hi, ok...prepare to laugh and call me a dumbass, BUT...my computer stopped working all together a few days ago after visiting some 'less then reputable sites'.

MAIN REASON: it was a new system i had put together and i didnt have any spyware/adware/anti-virus *anything* on it yet. :(

IN THE AFTERMATH...i managed to throw some spyware programs on it and a trial version of Panda Anti-Virus, which took my virus count from around 650+ down to around 10. (yes, i managed to severly f*ck myself up)

SO NOW...i cant access anything from my desktop (say like clicking on 'my computer') i just get a windows error message, appoligizing how it cant be opened (same with IE) the desktop seems to refresh, stuff disappears, reapears and my average cpu useage hovers around 80% when nothing is on. however, i can open the windows menu and 'run' anything off my harddrive as long as i go exactly what im looking for.

i honestly have no idea what to do now...short of formatting my harddrives. :( and loosing my precious mp3/movie archive ive accumulated already.

if you have any suggestions, please do let me know!

even if you have no idea...thanks for reading.

Pull the data off and put it on another drive and then reformat.

Can you get into safe mode atleast?

it starts up fine and everything, but i just cant access any of my files like i normally would. nor the internet.

Can you get into safe mode and access the files?

If you cant then pull the drive and stick it in another system and pull the data off.

how do i go about reformatting? what would be the easiest way? (i suppose i can always just redownload anything i had no there before.)

Back