Probably a stupid question, regarding new router.

datamage

Limp Gawd
I decided to try out the new D-Link DIR-655 and it has a USB port. Stupid question time, would I be able to connect my external USB HD to this port and allow it to be accessed by my computers on the network? If yes, does it matter which external HD it is? (I picked up a WD MyBook 250gb - plain with just USB.)

TIA! :D

not just any USB hard drive it would have to have NAS support, im pretty sure they do make USB hdd drives with nas support and you could do that

The router is what needs to support NAS functionality, the hard drive can be almost any USB drive. The "problem" you'll need to research is whether or not the D-Link requires any special formatting. i.e. Will it only accept FAT32 drives? Does it format them with a linux fs? etc. Read up on the device but just about any USB drive should work just fine... if that's what the USB port on the Dlink is for. Unfortunately DLink isn't being very chatty about whether it's there for storage or for a print server.

Thanks for the info.

Hmm, I already have my ext HD setup with different partitions and whatnot,. I don't really want to do it all again, if for whatever reason the router doesnt support NTFS/FAT32. The D-link in question does support NAS, there's a diagram depicting that over @ their site.

Back