• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pro to XT vs. XTPE, what's the difference?

joecuddles

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
1,103
If you take an x800 Pro and flash it to XT and OC it to XT speeds, is there anything within the architecture of the cards that would seperate one from the other?

It seems some people running benches with Pro's that are flashed and at XT speeds get less than those with stock XTPE's. Or am I imagining things?
 
that would be because xt and xtpe are different cards, the platinum edition is clocked higher and should normally score higher.
 
phaelinx said:
that would be because xt and xtpe are different cards, the platinum edition is clocked higher and should normally score higher.

Ok, I didn't make myself clear. The question is, what is the difference between an x800 Pro flashed and running at 520/560 compared to an XTPE stock at 520/560.
 
joecuddles said:
Ok, I didn't make myself clear. The question is, what is the difference between an x800 Pro flashed and running at 520/560 compared to an XTPE stock at 520/560.

12 pipelines for the x800 Pro vs. 16 for the x800 XT or XT-PE. Flashing the BIOS won't fix it on (most) Pros because the pipelines are physically disabled. Pro VIVOs are the exception, but they can't always be overclocked to XT or XT-PE speeds.
 
CastleBravo said:
12 pipelines for the x800 Pro vs. 16 for the x800 XT or XT-PE. Flashing the BIOS won't fix it on (most) Pros because the pipelines are physically disabled. Pro VIVOs are the exception, but they can't always be overclocked to XT or XT-PE speeds.

..... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. READ MY QUESTION.

"The question is, what is the difference between an x800 Pro flashed and running at 520/560 compared to an XTPE stock at 520/560."
 
joecuddles said:
..... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. READ MY QUESTION.

"The question is, what is the difference between an x800 Pro flashed and running at 520/560 compared to an XTPE stock at 520/560."

Asshole, flashing an x800 Pro doesn't enable the 16 pipelines. Flashing an x800 Pro VIVO will. So my answer was correct. :rolleyes:
 
if YOU read his post, he was saying there is a difference of 4 broken/disabled pipelines meaning THE FLASHED ONE WOULD STILL BE SLOWER. 12 pipelines with 4 broken != 16 working pipelines

mhz on a card does not mean shit..take the 9600pro and the 9500pro, 9600 is clocked higher but the 9500pro would rape it because its a difference of 4 pipelines vs 8 pipelines. Answered?
 
CastleBravo said:
Asshole, flashing an x800 Pro doesn't enable the 16 pipelines. Flashing an x800 Pro VIVO will. So my answer was correct. :rolleyes:

... Considering you can't flash an x800 Pro, I assumed that I didn't need to state that the Pro in question would be a VIVO, when I spoke of flashing it.
 
joecuddles said:
... Considering you can't flash an x800 Pro, I assumed that I didn't need to state that the Pro in question would be a VIVO, when I spoke of flashing it.

Sure you can, it just won't work as intended.
 
joecuddles said:
Sigh. I have my answer from Marvelous, thread can die.

Sigh all you want. A guy in the ATI part of the forum just reported flashing his x800 Pro to XT, it "worked" in that the flash took and the clocks went up, but he still only had 12 instead of 16 pipelines. So the answer you got was wrong. :rolleyes:
 
CastleBravo said:
Sigh all you want. A guy in the ATI part of the forum just reported flashing his x800 Pro to XT, it "worked" in that the flash took and the clocks went up, but he still only had 12 instead of 16 pipelines. So the answer you got was wrong. :rolleyes:

because he needs to hardmod it. Ati cards are being locked but doing a simple bridge connection can unlock the pipes (now it's just a risk of any being broken). answering the topic tho, if they're the same clock and have the same pipes, they're the same cards.
 
You're also missing another factor.

What will it cost to get a X800 Pro to get to X800 XTPE speeds.

Will you have to get a water cooling system?

Remember, a X800 XTPE will run at it's stock speed for $0 in modding or extra cooling products.

The same thing can't be said of an X800 Pro. You might have to spend extra in order to get the same speeds. Then again you might luck out and have a rare gem that'lll overlcok to X800 XTPE with the stock heatsink and fan - but I doubt it.

It's like if you have a 6800 GT. You might be able to get it to 6800UEE speeds but you might have to spend extra (in cooling products).
 
LordBritish said:
You're also missing another factor.

What will it cost to get a X800 Pro to get to X800 XTPE speeds.

Will you have to get a water cooling system?

Remember, a X800 XTPE will run at it's stock speed for $0 in modding or extra cooling products.

The same thing can't be said of an X800 Pro. You might have to spend extra in order to get the same speeds. Then again you might luck out and have a rare gem that'lll overlcok to X800 XTPE with the stock heatsink and fan - but I doubt it.

It's like if you have a 6800 GT. You might be able to get it to 6800UEE speeds but you might have to spend extra (in cooling products).

Well I have an x800 Pro that runs at 540 / 590 and 570 / 590 with vmod and a Zalman cooler, so that's why I was asking. I'm already guaranteed the speeds, was just wondering if there were any other factors, and it appears there aren't.
 
They perform exactly the same. I have a real XT PE and a flashed Pro-to-XT PE, both generate nearly identical benchmarks.

One thing, though -- my real XT PE overclocks much, much better than than the flashed Pro. I can go to 550/600 on stock cooling on my real XT PE.
 
If it's not a vivo there's no point flashing. Just overclock. We all know the regular pro's don't have the 4 pipes that failed at standard XT speeds. That is all people. If you have Pro Vivo and good cooling it will be an XT and beyond.
 
was i like one of the FEW who understood what he was asking???....everyone was arguing about IF it could be flashed...thats not what he asked......and to answer your question most likely again...if you did flash it to 16 fully functioning pipes...and it clocked the same as an XT....theyd benchmark the same..........but it might score a few less due to heat issues, and the core would be working harder....
 
The card JoeCuddles is getting is one of those "gems" as aptly put by LordBritish--meaning it does beyond XT PE speeds on stock cooling and no additional mods (aside from a bios flash). I know this since I'm the one that sold it to him and shipped it today :)
 
And I love you for it MFZ! :D

And yes, it seems only 2 or 3 people actually understood the question that was asked. I thought it was pretty clear, but anyways, I have my answer.

*stabs the thread to death*
 
joecuddles said:
$515 USD with the Zalman cooler, $655 CAD.

www.information21.com/ina/upload/files/x800hs.jpg

I'll probably run it around 570 / 590 ;)

I get my new PC on Sunday, and this card should be here Wednesday. So I'll have a few days of running an FX-53 system on a 32 MB PCI Radeon video card, woo! :D MFZ is my savior.

Heh damn my sound card is dirty, I should clean that thing, makes my entire system look messy. Anyways, have fun w/that card, I know the wait is going to kill you those 3 days with having an FX-53 sitting there and no card to enjoy it.

P.S. Get ur paypal going! :p Oh yeah and heatware too.
 
CastleBravo said:
Asshole, flashing an x800 Pro doesn't enable the 16 pipelines. Flashing an x800 Pro VIVO will. So my answer was correct. :rolleyes:


strange thing happens when you actually read the rules
you stumble across the fact that the very first rule regards flaming and namecalling
this could be an indication of exactly how seriously we enforce that rule
drawing such a conclusion from its placement at the top of the list would indeed be correct

and reaching that conclusion, a display of not inconsiderable intellect
of course the opposite could also be said, ignoring that rule could be an early indicator
of mental deficiency, in here likely terminal, best to consult a physician in either event :p

there is a limited amount of slack given to "learn the ropes", once gone...

Good Luck ;)
 
Back
Top