Pro Counter-Strike player slams CS:GO: “It’s not fun. It’s a terrible game right now.

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
CS:GO is starting to sound pretty fucking depressing.

Valve, who continues to expand the beta for CS:GO before a release this summer, has been vocal about its cooperation with the eSports community. But Tomi “lurppis” Kovanen believes that message hasn’t been backed up by game design that’s conducive to a competitive game. In a thread on the official forums, Kovanen calls CS:GO “terrible” and “not by any means fun.” He adds: “That’s what every top player thinks as far as I can tell.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/13/p...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Player Whisenhunt recently released a video explaining exactly what is wrong with CS:GO.

I'm getting more and more down about this game. I actually sounds worse than Source. I sincerely hope Valve drops this accessibility nonsense and makes this game actually competitive. I could see people not even bothering to leave Source to play this let alone 1.6.

There's a distinct level of personal skill involved in 1.6 and even CSS thats just a huge factor in why so many people play these games over others. We need CS:GO to have this.

Little glimmer of hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcnMKEDaI_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTToe1n5GNw

Last edited:
I've played CS for 13 years too, I am a pro. :cool:

here is why GO is/will suck. Its being developed for consoles and people with controllers in hand.

/thread.

Last edited:
I've played CS for 13 years too, I am a pro. :cool:

here is why GO is/will suck. Its being developed for consoles and people with controllers in hand.

/thread.

They split the 360/PS3 and PC builds so they could freely update the PC version without waiting for Sony/MS validation. They have a private forum where pro 1.6/Source players can give feedback directly to developers and every big update they've done has improved the game as well as included community requested fixes.

They are listening and willing to make a good game, that kinda attitude about it ruins it.

I still have faith they can fix the game because it's in beta, but from what I've seen and played it doesn't look pretty.

If you thought the movement from 1.6 to CS:S was bad, you haven't played CS:GO. It is ATROCIOUS.

FUcking hell why are they consolizing this game... of all games...

My gaming philosophy. If it aint broke dont fix it. CS was perfect back in the day. When they staryed tweaking it is when i stopped playing and am.pretty glad i did.

If a pro gamer thinks it's shit, chances are I'll prolly like it then :p

Just a matter of time before game dev's learn from their mistakes and come back to Pc gaming. Ex. Id
's rage. Valve is just testing the waters with consoles, so is blizzard it seems. They will learn from their mistakes with cs:go.

Just a matter of time before game dev's learn from their mistakes and come back to Pc gaming.

I don't share your optimism although I think some developers are starting to want to push the envelope a little bit again while the console hardware clearly stagnates.

Ex. Id
's rage.

What about it? That thing is consolitis personified.

Valve is just testing the waters with consoles, so is blizzard it seems. They will learn from their mistakes with cs:go.

I disagree. I think they're going to head that way and stay there because that's where the easy, big money is.

It's CS for consoles, why the hell would they make it competitive?!

If anything they want to normalize the skill levels so that the average joe can pick up and play and have a laugh, that's the biggest mass market appeal...competitive gamers make up a tiny slice of the player-pie and valve are ever more focused on the consoles and the casual market.

L4D introduced stuff like match making, removed servers, removed ping times and replaced it with mobile phone style connectivity "bars", it added player highlighting and just about as much rubbish as possible to make it accesible and less competative...why would their new products like CS:GO not follow in the same footsteps?

Valve used to make great PC games but they sold out to the consoles just like every other developer has done, they're not an exception they just happen to keep a few redeeming qualities.

Its still gonna look better and have faster better controls then console. Crossfire<shi
tbox360

I still have faith they can fix the game because it's in beta, but from what I've seen and played it doesn't look pretty.

If you thought the movement from 1.6 to CS:S was bad, you haven't played CS:GO. It is ATROCIOUS.

I played since only 1.5 but I thought CS:S was miles better than 1.5 and 1.6

Of course I'll never like CS (any version) because there's only two guns people play with.. AK47/M4 and Desert Eagle (and awp... oh god). Nobody buys anything else, it makes the game old quick. I was bummed when they got rid of the dynamic pricing system. I thought it was a great solution but don't quite remember why it didn't work out and they had to remove it (or at least un-default it). I think just a lot of people bitching about AK47s and M4s being too expensive

It's nothing I haven't heard a thousand times before. The fact that they are making another cloned CS game baffles me in the first place, so I'm not particularly surprised that they aren't listening to their competitive playerbase. It seems the only remaining bastion of true competitive gaming is in RTS.

It's nothing I haven't heard a thousand times before. The fact that they are making another cloned CS game baffles me in the first place, so I'm not particularly surprised that they aren't listening to their competitive playerbase. It seems the only remaining bastion of true competitive gaming is in RTS.

Except they are listening to their competitive / professional player base, they even have their own area to directly contact and give feedback to the Dev team. They've flown multiple top 1.6 / CSS players to Seattle to discuss the game and give feedback in person.

Haters gonna hate.

IDD, i enjoy CS:S but i dont actually understand the point in this game atall, the graphics dont even look that good.

No one even plays the game for graphics anyway, not many people even play the game at native resolution.

I was bummed when they got rid of the dynamic pricing system. I thought it was a great solution but don't quite remember why it didn't work out and they had to remove it (or at least un-default it). I think just a lot of people bitching about AK47s and M4s being too expensive
I liked it too. The CS community unfortunately is almost entirely resistant to change, even when they are good changes.

That was part of the reason I preferred TFC to CS a decade ago. The community was a lot more receptive. New maps like dustbowl, warpath, flagrun, and avanti were actually embraced alongside the classics. There wasn't some mass protest when teleporters were introduced. That said, something about TF2 just doesn't capture me the way TFC (and TF) did.

Doing things like making shooting through walls viable, making smaller hitboxes, trying to re-balance hideously 1 sided maps, and making it so there is actually a point to other weapons = consolification? They are tweaking shit and have said it will continue to be changed, and if you still don't like it then all settings are up to the host. Nothing is really stopping other settings becoming the sort of competitive standard if defaults don't work.

I'm not big on the stamina system, I think the color correction is stupid, and there's some other things but I don't get where people come up with these ideas considering it seems to be getting better every week.

I am a little disappointed in hearing this, but it reminds me that when Source first came out I absolutely hated it. It wasn't until 2-3 years later that I started playing it again that I enjoyed it. And now I have been playing competitively for 4-5 years.

The thing I am hoping for is much better hacking detection. People still hack like crazy in CSS and it makes it almost impossible to even play on certain servers.

My gaming philosophy. If it aint broke dont fix it. CS was perfect back in the day. When they staryed tweaking it is when i stopped playing and am.pretty glad i did.

When back in the day? CS has never been static...that is what initially drew me into it; hey look a mod that is actually regularly updated!

That being said, there were 2 huge negative turning points for me - first, the introduction of lag compensation. "Hey look, blood on the wall and my crosshair right on your face...oh wait, *I* died?" and 1.0 going retail - it added a flood of cheaters to the game and basically ruined it forever, despite it still being a fun game overall.

Also, I'd love for CS:GO to bring back de_railroad and cs_backalley. I loved those maps.

I liked it too. The CS community unfortunately is almost entirely resistant to change, even when they are good changes.

That was part of the reason I preferred TFC to CS a decade ago. The community was a lot more receptive. New maps like dustbowl, warpath, flagrun, and avanti were actually embraced alongside the classics. There wasn't some mass protest when teleporters were introduced. That said, something about TF2 just doesn't capture me the way TFC (and TF) did.

TFC FTW!!!!! yeah i use to play CS as well, when it went to 1.6 i gave up on the game. still say 1.5 was the best version of CS. i had 1000's of hours in TFC though and it was sad to see them ruin a great game with TF2.

I am a little disappointed in hearing this, but it reminds me that when Source first came out I absolutely hated it. It wasn't until 2-3 years later that I started playing it again that I enjoyed it. And now I have been playing competitively for 4-5 years.

This. Source in beta was horrid and the original launch was frustrating. It got better over time.

He's complaining about recoil? Really? He calls them clips instead of mags, so it's safe to assume he doesn't fire real guns I'm guessing...and has no idea that with an AK, you really can't fire 30 rounds in full auto accurately. You fire bursts. So all I can say is "wahhhhhhh" on that point.

As for washed out lighting, I do get tired of games doing that.

It's CS for consoles, why the hell would they make it competitive?!

If anything they want to normalize the skill levels so that the average joe can pick up and play and have a laugh, that's the biggest mass market appeal...competitive gamers make up a tiny slice of the player-pie and valve are ever more focused on the consoles and the casual market.

L4D introduced stuff like match making, removed servers, removed ping times and replaced it with mobile phone style connectivity "bars", it added player highlighting and just about as much rubbish as possible to make it accesible and less competative...why would their new products like CS:GO not follow in the same footsteps?

Valve used to make great PC games but they sold out to the consoles just like every other developer has done, they're not an exception they just happen to keep a few redeeming qualities.

I take if you've not played DOTA2. I love all the Valve hate in here.

He's complaining about recoil? Really? He calls them clips instead of mags, so it's safe to assume he doesn't fire real guns I'm guessing...and has no idea that with an AK, you really can't fire 30 rounds in full auto accurately. You fire bursts. So all I can say is "wahhhhhhh" on that point.

Oh man, he calls them clips instead of mags. Let's crucify this fucker. :rolleyes:

Go play ARMA. CS isn't a realistic game which is why:

A) It's been so popular over the years
B) It's competitive
C) It's fun

So just do what Pro Mod did.

Have vanilla regular CS:GO to Value's delight selling to consoles and casuals
Have a Pro Mod dedicated to Pros and tournaments (fog removal, weapon normalization, etc.)

Doesnt suprise me one bit. I coulda went pro in CS, use to play with CAL I clans reguarly. Also worked with 2 pro players in retail. Then came battlefield...
But anyways I knew this game would suck balls the moment I first saw video footage.

The clips/mags thing bugs me a lot as well but CS has never been a realistic game. The entire game is about shooting from the hip while hopping around for god's sake.

I played since only 1.5 but I thought CS:S was miles better than 1.5 and 1.6

Of course I'll never like CS (any version) because there's only two guns people play with.. AK47/M4 and Desert Eagle (and awp... oh god). Nobody buys anything else, it makes the game old quick. I was bummed when they got rid of the dynamic pricing system. I thought it was a great solution but don't quite remember why it didn't work out and they had to remove it (or at least un-default it). I think just a lot of people bitching about AK47s and M4s being too expensive

You represent the disconnect between the "old pros" which is different than just pros and many players. This is a problem I see in almost every game. Tribes Ascend is going through it too. The fact is people forget that heavy players of any game have invested a ton of time into EVERY shitty little detail of the game. Players in realistic shooters know how to freaking control the exact kick of different weapons. They have tweaked every iota of their config for that games exact physics. And if you try to change anything they FREAK out. The move from CS to CSS had huge resistance, the move from any quake game to the next had huge resistance and mods which made the game back to the game before it. This causes tons of problems because if they just made the same exact game but did not have previous games to compare it too, it is likely there would be nothing but praise. However since they have all these old stubborn pros, you get a ton of negative feedback. And the pros try to get everything changed back to how it was before, then you cannot innovate and your game suffers from stagnation.

Oh man, he calls them clips instead of mags. Let's crucify this fucker. :rolleyes:

While I laugh at people who have no idea about guns and talk like they do (having only seen them in games and movies) I just point it out because it is a good indicator of who is a gun "enthusiast" if you will - people who own/fire guns and enjoy it.

Go play ARMA. CS isn't a realistic game which is why:

A) It's been so popular over the years
B) It's competitive
C) It's fun

For A - why is BF2 still breathing air? Why is BF3 so big? Those two go for more realism. There are other games that have bullet drop mechanics, for example. CS isn't popular BECAUSE the guns shoot laz0rs, it's just something people are used to.

B: And you can be competitive with realism.

C: Fun is relative.

The real point is - what are you people looking for? CS with some new shiny graphics? Or a new game? This is Valve's thing to muck with. If they think they have a good market for a game that is slightly more realistic, then go them. Why do people expect the new version of CS to be identical to the last versions? If I wanted CS:S' game mechanics, I'd play CS:S. I wouldn't play BF3 and say "why can't I just grab the M249 and get insta headshots"

So just do what Pro Mod did.

Have vanilla regular CS:GO to Value's delight selling to consoles and casuals
Have a Pro Mod dedicated to Pros and tournaments (fog removal, weapon normalization, etc.)

They are doing this already...

There's competitive and casual mode with separate rule-sets AND special versions of the maps with reduced / no fog, bare minimum props, etc.

god they don[t listen to us at all what a bunch of asshole devs fuck
(update came out)

edit: oops i didn't mean to double post.

Maps:
&#8226; Added Arms Race maps &#8211; Shoots and Baggage
&#8226; Added Aztec to Classic maps

Gameplay:
&#8226; Arsenal Arms Race game mode is a single extended round with instant respawn. All players start with the same weapon and get a new one each time they kill an enemy. The progression of unlocked weapons ends with the knife. The first player to get a kill with every weapon wins the match.
&#8226; Added &#8216;Find A Game&#8217; to the Play options menu screen. Find A Game allows you to join an online game of a specific type. This update offers Arsenal Arms Race and Classic Competitive game modes. The map cycle groups include:
Classic Maps
Arms Race Maps
&#8226; Added new weapons:
Scar 20 &#8211; CT only auto-sniper.
G3SG1 &#8211; Terrorist only auto-sniper.
Zeus x27 &#8211; Casual Mode only weapon available to both teams.
&#8226; Adjustments have been made to increase the base accuracy of all weapons.
&#8226; Jump and land penalties have been decreased, and the rate of stamina gain has been increased.
&#8226; Bot difficulty has been tuned.
&#8226; HE grenade damage has been adjusted per pro feedback.

Models
&#8226; Added two new player skins:
Phoenix Faction
GIGN

UI
&#8226; Death notice order reversed.
&#8226; Updated Italy mini map image.

Bug Fixes
&#8226; Fixed a bug in the keyboard + mouse options screen where changes were resetting.
&#8226; Fixed the consecutive loss bonus persisting through halftime. Solves the problem of teams receiving extra cash early in the second round of the match.
&#8226; Fixed end match scoreboard saying it was a tie in Arsenal Mode.
&#8226; Fixed a bug where penetrating shots were doing full damage after the penetration.
&#8226; Fixed a bug where the desired distance required to defuse the bomb wasn&#8217;t being used.
&#8226; Fix for the HUD alert panel coming up incorrectly.
&#8226; Fixed for bots not being able to defuse bomb.
&#8226; Fix for bug in Demolition mode where players would start the first round of the second half stuck in level geometry.
&#8226; Fix for radio message font appearing quite large at higher resolutions.

Last edited:
CS players now make the argument that CS is not about realism, but that is just a selfish convienient arguement they make now. When CS blew up the large arguement was it was more realistic than that silly quake/UT/half-life stuff.

So CS going more realistic would be sticking to its core game play goal. Remember it was CS that killed strafe jumping in valve games because it was not realistic. I also laugh when the CS pro talks about movement, what movement, there is no movement in CS.

He's complaining about recoil? Really? He calls them clips instead of mags, so it's safe to assume he doesn't fire real guns I'm guessing...and has no idea that with an AK, you really can't fire 30 rounds in full auto accurately. You fire bursts. So all I can say is "wahhhhhhh" on that point..

For A - why is BF2 still breathing air? Why is BF3 so big? Those two go for more realism. There are other games that have bullet drop mechanics, for example. CS isn't popular BECAUSE the guns shoot laz0rs, it's just something people are used to.

It's funny because while the battlefield series may go for realism more than CS, the CS series almost definitely has closer to real shooting mechanics. In CS it is VERY difficult to control full auto on a gun and hit the target at anything past close range. In BF3 you can spray a lot of guns at medium range without too much recoil correction and be moderately successful. In BF3 almost half the people that play the game tend to walk the fuck around while shooting (often spraying) and they do moderately well. I hate this more than anything in BF3. I don't shoot guns very often irl but I'm fairly certain that walking forwards while shooting isn't encouraged when you're trying to hit something. Nobody that is semi successful in CS ever does this. It's all about moving, stopping, bursting, moving again. Much more realistic as far as I'm aware.

This is one of the problems I have with BF3. I feel like it took a definite step backwards in this area from BF2, which was already a bit behind CS. Back to your original statement. I didn't read the article but I know some pros are just frustrated atm because they don't know the new pattern so they can't control it nearly as well as the old one. In all fairness, this would be them whining about any change, which is annoying. Some are pissed that the screen doesn't jerk around like it did in 1.6, which to their credit, is an argument for realism.

Love both CS and BF in the end.

Last edited:
Back