Private P2P

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
I want to setup a private P2P for my forum community to share files together... i want to know what you all think is the most effective system.

I was thinking Bittorrent, I'm not sure which tracker system to use...
Info about my server.
Linux box (Fedora)
2x Xeons 2.4ghz
2GB RAM
that's all you need

I'd like to use client b/w, but I wouldn't mind if the server helped in everyonce in a while...
Search functions and stuff are a plus and the ability to provide links that start the download up.

Thanks [H]

Have you considered using Direct Connect? I'm not saying you should, because I don't know how big this community is, but it is a good P2P option nonetheless. DC servers are often a snap to setup, and you don't need a powerhouse for them.

na I want P2P, cause that way we can keep files on even though not all of us are online... also it's easier to search through, cause they don't have to update links and that.

I want to go the Bittorent path, but I'm not sure as it's hard to share lots of files and this community is going to have TONS of files, 20k+

Stormlifter said:
I want to go the Bittorent path, but I'm not sure as it's hard to share lots of files and this community is going to have TONS of files, 20k+

http://waste.sourceforge.net/

One network (someone I know is part of) has ... ~250,000+ files.

Another small network I'm on is a couple of family members to share family photos and such.
Different user names, different keys, same system. Makes for a nice setup.

Potential problem is the size of the network, any idea what number of nodes you are looking at?

Stormlifter said:
Can waste run off a Linux Server?

"WASTE is currently available for 32-bit Windows operating systems as a client and server, Mac OS X as a limited client and server, and as a limited functionality server for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows. Porting to other operating systems should be a breeze, as the source is provided (and the network code itself is pretty portable)."

Well I don't have GUI access to my Linux server...
I need to install it through SSH... not seeing a way to do this.

BitTorrent would be a bad idea - 20k files would be huge, and someone would always have to have them open. I'd second the DirectConnect or WASTE votes.

WASTE is defintley your best bet. It allows for up to 2048-bit encryption (maybe even higher), the recommend be 1556 I think. Combined with the encryption + the privatized networks, it is incredibly hard to break.

I guess the only downside would be that it takes a while sometimes to get everything configured right.

WASTE is what I want, but now... thing is, how the heck do i get that thing setup on a Linux box that I don't have GUI access to... I didn't see any SSH installation guides or anything... anyone who's done a Waste setup over SSH that could help me through it would rock!

Back