• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Private Lan (VLAN + Jumbo frames) ?

Terr1

n00b
Joined
May 24, 2010
Messages
28
I just bought a Cisco managed SG200 18 port switch, because I want to try Jumbo Frames and Link Aggregation (later) on my private home network. Just to test the speed and also to learn a little in the process.

My network diagram:
http://linuxgeek.dk/pics/network/network.jpg

As I read all devices on the same network should be running the same MTU else you will see weird stuff some connections not working and so on..

I Tried enabling my Synology NAS and my Desktop and Cicso siwtch to use Jumbo frames.. Then I couldnt even access Synology NAS web interface anymore hmm?

Anyway.. any ideas how to set this up? Should I create a MTU 9000 VLAN or something like that? If so where do I add the VLAN? In both my router and cisco?
 
What did you set the MTU size for on the Nas, Desktop and Switch?
 
Will the a E2000 even work as a roas? Most toy routers do not. Assuming no, how do you intend to route between VLAN?
 
The firmware he is using supports vlans...
 
Shouldnt I seperate them into a seperate VLAN before playing with MTU 9000? Or should I be able to play with it in the mixed (MTU 1500 + 9000) LAN envrioment?
 
Shouldnt I seperate them into a seperate VLAN before playing with MTU 9000? Or should I be able to play with it in the mixed (MTU 1500 + 9000) LAN envrioment?

Certainly. Always ever make one change at a time. Get your VLAN config worked out and connectivity tested before you start tinkering with MTU.
 
Synology and Jumbo frames doesn't always play nice together on the SG series switch.

Also, you can't create a "vlan with jumbo mtu". Only the nice big data center switches from Cisco can do that.
 
Back
Top